Electrical Systems Modeling (finding current and voltage drops)

In summary, the student is seeking help with their solutions to the first and second problem, specifically part (b) of the second problem. They have used Kirchoff's Current and Voltage Laws to create a system of equations and solve for the voltages and currents in the circuit. However, there are errors in their calculation for part (b) of the second problem and they have been advised to post their second question in a separate thread.
mintsnapple

Homework Statement

Hello! I've been really unsure of whether my solutions to the first problem and part (b) of the second are right. My book gives few examples and so I've been trying to look on other websites for resources. Sorry if this is a lot, but any and all help would be appreciated.
First problem:
2rgezog.png

Second problem:
2m43ubo.png

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Current and Voltage Laqs

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem:
I put node 1 right above R_2. I put node 4 to the right of R_6 and above i_in(t). I put node 2 between R_2 and R_3. And I put node 3 above v_in(t) to the left of R_1.
Then, I made a system of equations, summing up the currents at each node.
$$ \sum i_1 = 1(v_1 - v_3) + 1(v_1 - v_2) + v_1 + \frac{1}{\pi}(v_1 - v_4) = 0 $$
$$ \sum i_2 = 1/3(v_2 - 0) + 2/3(v_2 - 0) + 1(v_2 - v_1) = 0 $$
$$ v_3 = v_{in} = 3V,$$, since it is connected to the source voltage.
$$ \sum i_4 = \frac{1}{\pi}(v_4 - v_1) - i_{in} = \frac{1}{\pi}(v_4 - v_1) - 2 = 0 $$
Solving this system, I got $$v_1 = 2V, v_2 = 1V, v_3 = 3V, and v_4 = 2(\pi + 1)V $$

(a). The voltage drop across R_5 is just V_1, which is 2V.
(b). The current through R_4 is related to its voltage by
$$ V_{R4} = R_4(i_{R4} - i_{in})$$. Since
$$ V_{R4} = V_2 = 1V,$$
then
$$ i_{R4} = 2 \frac{2}{3} $$.
(c). The voltage drop across R_2 is just V_1 - V_2, which is 1V.
(d). The current through can be found using Kirchoff's Voltage Law.
$$ V_{in} - R_1(i_{R1}) - V_{R3} - V_{R2} = 0 $$, so
$$ i_{R1} = 3V - 1V - 1V = 1A $$
(e). The voltage drop across the current source is just V_4, which is 2(pi + 1).

Now for part b of the second problem:
(b) We again apply KVL.
$$ v_{in} - R_1(i_R - i_{in}) = 0 $$, so
$$ R_1 i_R = v_{in} + R_1 i_{in} $$
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your part (b). R3 and R4 in parallel yield 1 Ω, so combined with R2 that branch has an equivalent resistance of 2 Ω. But your v1 is 2 V, so the total branch current is 2V / 2 Ω or 1 amp. Thus the current through R4 cannot possibly exceed one ampere.

For part (d), pay attention to the defined direction of the current!

You should move your second question to a new thread; One problem per thread is the general rule.

gif.gif
panlol.gif

1. What is electrical systems modeling?

Electrical systems modeling is the process of creating a mathematical representation of an electrical system to analyze its performance and behavior. This can involve finding current and voltage drops, understanding circuit behavior, and predicting system responses to different inputs.

2. How is current calculated in an electrical system model?

Current is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) in a circuit. This can also be represented using the equation I = V/R.

3. What factors influence voltage drops in an electrical system model?

There are several factors that can influence voltage drops in an electrical system model, including the resistance of the circuit, the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and the type and quality of the electrical components used.

4. How can electrical system modeling be used in real-world applications?

Electrical system modeling can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing circuit layouts, predicting and analyzing power distribution in buildings or power grids, and troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in existing electrical systems.

5. What are some common tools and software used for electrical system modeling?

Some common tools and software used for electrical system modeling include MATLAB, Simulink, PSpice, and LTSpice. These programs allow for the creation and simulation of complex electrical systems, making it easier for scientists and engineers to analyze and optimize their designs.