Electrical Transients Ansys Maxwell/Hfss

In summary, you imported a model into Maxwell from a CATIA V5 file. The Model Analysis verified that the model was good. However, after assigning excitations, materials, boundary conditions, and running the analysis, you received an error message stating that the objects were intersecting. You are looking for documents on transients on vehicles in the Ansys resource library.
michael pranit
I am new to both Ansoft Maxwell and HFSS and attempting to simulate transients on a 3d structure. I have a structure (hood of a car) designed in catia V5. I have imported the file into maxwell as .stp file. The Model analysis status verifies 'good' for all the parts. The 3d modeler window now reads the structure as Solids and lines, solids being the metal parts of the hood and lines (i'm not sure).
I assigned the solids to steel, and received the message: 'solve inside' for object 'partbody-1' is set, due to material assignment change.
The solution type I need is electric transient, I have current in my other calculations as 200A, 100Hz. I couldn't find much tutorials on transients and electrostatics. Could anyone please guide me as to what steps I need to follow to simulate the transients. Any suggestion/advice or pointers to tutorials will be really helpful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Likes 1 person
Intersecting objects and sketch lines

I am attempting to study transients like lightning on vehicles. I am very new to Maxwell and HFSS, I found that intersecting objects must be avoided to maintain structural integrity. I found the following document:
http://wenku.baidu.com/view/7e5b9b1fb7360b4c2e3f64ab

I have imported my model from catia (V5) in the .stp extension. The Model Analysis reads 'good' but after assigning excitations, materials, boundary conditions etc and run the analysis, I receive an error message on the message window stating the objects are intersecting. But I'm not able to merge the individual objects. Also I do not know what to do with the sketch lines that have been imported along with the objects.

I am now snooping through the Ansys resource library for any documents on the topic.This is as far as I have got.

Attachments

• ansyss.jpg
    ansyss.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 905

1. What are electrical transients?

Electrical transients are temporary and momentary disturbances or fluctuations in an electrical circuit or system. They can be caused by sudden changes in voltage, current, or electromagnetic fields.

2. How do Ansys Maxwell/Hfss simulate electrical transients?

Ansys Maxwell/Hfss use finite element analysis (FEA) and finite difference time domain (FDTD) methods to simulate electrical transients. FEA is used to analyze the behavior of electromagnetic fields, while FDTD is used to model the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a given space.

3. What factors can cause electrical transients?

Electrical transients can be caused by various factors such as lightning strikes, switching of electrical devices, sudden changes in load, and electromagnetic interference.

4. How can electrical transients affect electronic devices?

Electrical transients can cause damage to electronic devices by exceeding their voltage or current ratings, inducing high-frequency noise, or causing rapid changes in temperature. They can also disrupt the normal functioning of electronic devices and lead to data loss or system failures.

5. Can Ansys Maxwell/Hfss predict the behavior of electrical transients?

Yes, Ansys Maxwell/Hfss can accurately predict the behavior of electrical transients by simulating various scenarios and analyzing the effects of different parameters on the circuit or system. This helps in designing and optimizing electronic devices to withstand transient events and ensure their reliable operation.