Ansys 15 - create moving loads

In summary, the person is seeking guidance on how to simulate a moving load in ANSYS 15. They plan to model the problem in 3D and import the geometry, and their initial thought was to add contact surfaces and apply a velocity to the pulley. They are wondering if Transient Structural can be used for this and are seeking assistance with material properties. The actual problem is more complex, but they simplified it to a pulley-rope simulation. They are looking for an easier way to do the simulation and are considering applying loads at different points under different time intervals.
Rakeshathukattu
Hi,

I am trying to simulate a moving load in ansys 15. Could anybody guide me on how I could do it?
A typical example:
Calculating stress across a steel Rope ( assume solid circular c/s) between point A to B while a pulley load moves over it between the 2 points with a certain velocity.

I will be modelling the actual problem in 3D and importing the geometry. My initial thought was to add contact surface between the rope and the Pulley with the mass of the pulley as the load itself and then apply a velocity to the pulley.

Can I use Transient structural for this?

please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why are you simulating this on ANSYS? Wouldn't simple analytical formulas be sufficient for you?

How do you plan to provide material properties for the rope? Do you have any reference paper etc?
Please provide links if any

Hello RDK,
As I mentioned, That was an example scenario. I need to know if you can simulate moving loads on a structure.
as for the Material properties, yes, It will be available.

The actual problem involves a bit more complicated structure (CompleX cross section, sharp edges on the rope, and Damping) . I simplified it to a pulley-rope simulation just to get me pointed in the direction or a module that will work for me.

Is there a way to do the simulation in ansys? to make it easier, The pulley need not roll... just simulate it assuming its a sliding motion.

The one method I currently have in mind is to apply loads at different points under different time intervals but that would culminate in a large data analysis.
Nevertheless, I am looking for an easier way to go about it.

What is Ansys 15?

Ansys 15 is a finite element analysis software used by engineers and scientists to simulate and analyze the behavior of structures and systems under various loading conditions.

How do I create moving loads in Ansys 15?

To create moving loads in Ansys 15, you first need to define the load as a function of time and then apply it to the desired elements or nodes in the model. This can be done through the use of load step definitions and the Transient Structural analysis system in Ansys 15.

Can I simulate different types of moving loads in Ansys 15?

Yes, Ansys 15 allows for the simulation of various types of moving loads such as point loads, distributed loads, and time-varying loads. These can be applied to different types of structures including beams, plates, and solids.

How accurate are the results of moving load analysis in Ansys 15?

The accuracy of the results in Ansys 15 depends on the quality of the input data and the level of detail in the model. With proper setup and appropriate use of boundary conditions, Ansys 15 can provide accurate and reliable results for moving load analysis.

What are the advantages of using Ansys 15 for moving load analysis?

Ansys 15 offers a user-friendly interface and powerful simulation capabilities, making it a popular choice for engineers and scientists. It also allows for the consideration of complex load patterns and their effects on structures, providing valuable insights for design and optimization.