Electricity flow in a light sensitive theft alarm

In summary: When light falls on the LDR1, the resistance changes. This change in resistance is proportional to the amount of light that falls on it.
FaridAbhmad
I'm not learning physics in English, so terminolgy might be wrong.

1. Homework Statement

How does this circuit function? Where do the electricty flow?

Homework Equations

No equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to put here?

My question is basically how it work. As far as I know, the circuit starts at the positive side of the power source, and "splits" by some part of the electrons going to the LDR1 and the other part continues going to the right, and continues branching everytime it can. But how does the light sensitivity thing work? Where do the electricity go for it to start the siren/buzzer? There is nothing near LDR1, so what activates it and what makes it stop, if there is no resistor or anything there to stop it?

Does this make sense? New to physics.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

Hey @FaridAbhmad, welcome to PF.

For the useful equations, what would be nice there is the necessary voltage and current equations. (The voltage across a resistor equals what?)

The attempt at the solution should be either an attempt at a time or a frequency analysis (in general) depending on whether it's ac or dc (this one happens to be dc). So setting up your voltage equations and using V=IR should be sufficient.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Hey @FaridAbhmad, welcome to PF.

For the useful equations, what would be nice there is the necessary voltage and current equations. (The voltage across a resistor equals what?)

The attempt at the solution should be either an attempt at a time or a frequency analysis (in general) depending on whether it's ac or dc (this one happens to be dc). So setting up your voltage equations and using V=IR should be sufficient.
Do you mean if it is in Ohms? The resistor is that atleast, don't even know it you use something else to measure.
100k, 10k, 4.7k ohms

I'm not supposed to calculate or something. This is just to understand how a circuit works. But I don't know how this works. I need help understanding what makes the siren start, and what makes it stop? Where does the electricity go?

EDIT: yes, it's homework.

Well, without going through and analyzing it, I'm not really sure, it's a fairly complex circuit. Start at the battery, and trace every path. Write the sum of the voltage equations, make sure you keep track of the parallel and series components appropriately, and if you get stuck then maybe I can help more.

As it's homework we aren't meant to give you the answer, just hints so you can solve it yourself.

I would start at the siren/buzzer. What has to happen for the siren/buzzer to sound?

CWatters said:
As it's homework we aren't meant to give you the answer, just hints so you can solve it yourself.

I would start at the siren/buzzer. What has to happen for the siren/buzzer to sound?
Alright, will continue trying.
It has to be dark. When it gets darker the siren will sound.

Can I ask another question then? It is not part of the homework but is related to this.
In class when we built this circuit. We also measured Ohms to it. I found out that the darker it is the higher the resistance is. less light = high resistance. But how does this happen?

The sensors could possibly break down under light, making it easier for the current to flow.

FaridAbhmad said:
Alright, will continue trying.
It has to be dark. When it gets darker the siren will sound.

What I meant was..

For the buzzer to sound electricity has to be flowing through it so T1 must be ON.
For T1 to be ON...

Edit: It might be easier to start with the assumption that the buzzer is OFF. That implies T1 is OFF. What about T2... Go around the circuit marking it up with approximate voltages or logic levels.

Last edited:
FaridAbhmad said:
In class when we built this circuit. We also measured Ohms to it. I found out that the darker it is the higher the resistance is. less light = high resistance. But how does this happen?

LDR1 is a Light Dependant Resistor aka Photoresistor..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoresistor

Related to Electricity flow in a light sensitive theft alarm

1. How does electricity flow in a light sensitive theft alarm?

Electricity flows in a light sensitive theft alarm through a circuit. When the light sensor detects a change in light, it sends a signal to the control unit, which then activates an alarm.

2. What type of electricity is used in a light sensitive theft alarm?

A light sensitive theft alarm typically uses direct current (DC) electricity. This means that the electricity flows in one direction through the circuit.

3. Can the electricity flow in a light sensitive theft alarm be controlled?

Yes, the electricity flow in a light sensitive theft alarm can be controlled through the use of resistors, capacitors, and other components in the circuit. These components can regulate the amount of electricity flowing through the alarm.

4. What happens if there is a power outage in a light sensitive theft alarm?

In the event of a power outage, a light sensitive theft alarm may have a backup power source, such as a battery, to maintain its function. If there is no backup power, the alarm may not be able to detect changes in light and will not function properly.

5. Is it dangerous to manipulate the electricity flow in a light sensitive theft alarm?

Manipulating the electricity flow in a light sensitive theft alarm can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use caution when working with electricity to avoid electrical shocks or fires.