Electrochemical overpotentials (V3+/V4+ redox)

In summary, Vanadyl cation reduction occurs in an acidic acetonitrile environment over glassy carbon electrodes. There is limited data on overpotentials for the VO2+ -> V3+ redox pair.
tinska.h
Hey,

Does anyone know a good source for overpotentials on carbon / graphite electrodes? Especially looking data for V4+ + 2H+ + e- <-> V3+ + H2O (+0.34V vs. SHE) overpotential. Or are there any ways to estimate the overpotentials?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm going to take a stab at this, but I don't know how much help I can be with your specific question. So it looks like the reaction you're looking for is reduction of the vanadyl cation to V3+.
$$VO^{2+} +2H^+ + e^- \rightarrow V^{3+} + H_2O$$
This is the reaction that I found with a potential of +0.34V vs. SHE. This means maybe you're looking for information about cross-contamination in vanadium redox flow batteries? A quick lit search yields a few papers that may be of some interest:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/la00009a054
http://ecst.ecsdl.org/content/35/32/11.short
This last one has kinetics info about vanadyl reduction, but nothing specifically on overpotentials.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=9952D8759BBB8B5B3D01A5E8277E1316.f04t01
This one is as close as I've gotten: it's a system looking specifically at the reduction of VO(acac) to V(acac) in an acidic acetonitrile environment over glassy carbon electrodes. You might want to follow the references from this one.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck.

Likes KurtLudwig
Hey, Thanks for your effort!

Yeah it seems that there's very limited data regarding VO2+ -> V3+. I saw few articles where the graphs indicated much larger overpotential for the VO2+ and V3+ redox pair compared to V3+/V2+ and V5+/V4+.

tinska.h said:
Hey, Thanks for your effort!

Yeah it seems that there's very limited data regarding VO2+ -> V3+. I saw few articles where the graphs indicated much larger overpotential for the VO2+ and V3+ redox pair compared to V3+/V2+ and V5+/V4+.
This makes sense. You'd want to use half-reactions that are well-separated in potential if they're going to have a common redox ion.

Likes jim mcnamara

What is an electrochemical overpotential?

An electrochemical overpotential is the difference in energy between the actual potential required to drive a redox reaction and the theoretical potential predicted by the Nernst equation. It is a measure of the additional energy needed to overcome the resistance of the electrode-electrolyte interface and other kinetic barriers in order to drive the redox reaction.

What is the significance of electrochemical overpotentials?

Electrochemical overpotentials play a crucial role in determining the efficiency and kinetics of electrochemical reactions, particularly in energy storage and conversion devices such as batteries, fuel cells, and solar cells. It can also provide valuable information about the reaction mechanism and the properties of the electrode and electrolyte materials.

What factors influence the magnitude of electrochemical overpotentials?

The magnitude of electrochemical overpotentials is influenced by various factors such as the type and composition of electrode and electrolyte materials, the concentration of reactants, the temperature, and the applied current density. Furthermore, the presence of impurities, surface defects, and surface roughness can also affect the overpotential.

How can electrochemical overpotentials be reduced?

Electrochemical overpotentials can be reduced by improving the efficiency of the electrode-electrolyte interface, for example by using catalysts or modifying the surface of the electrode. Additionally, optimizing the composition and structure of the electrode and electrolyte materials can also help to decrease the overpotential and improve the overall performance of the electrochemical system.

What are some techniques used to measure electrochemical overpotentials?

Some commonly used techniques to measure electrochemical overpotentials include cyclic voltammetry, chronopotentiometry, and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. These techniques involve applying a range of potentials or currents to the electrode and measuring the resulting current or potential response, which can then be used to calculate the overpotential.