Electrodynamics- combination of resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for reducing resistor networks and applying them to a given circuit. The participants identify opportunities for series and parallel combinations, as well as recognizing the impact of a perfect conductor wire on the resistance between two points. The final step involves combining the reduced values and the resulting resistance is approximately 1.9Ω.
othonmp

Homework Statement

What is the compensative system of this combination of resistors?
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6610/circuitoi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you mean the total resistance?

othonmp said:

Homework Statement

What is the compensative system of this combination of resistors?
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6610/circuitoi.jpg

Can you define "compensative system"? I don't recognize the term.

Last edited by a moderator:
dinospamoni said:
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you mean the total resistance?

Yes,I mean the total resistance =]
sorry, English is not my first language

othonmp said:
Yes,I mean the total resistance =]
sorry, English is not my first language

Okay. What techniques have you learned about for reducing (simplifying) resistor networks? Can you spot any opportunities to apply them in the given circuit?

I'd go for

series: R_total = R_1+R_2+R_3+...

Parallel" 1/R_total = 1/R_1+1/R_2 +1/R_3 +...

Be careful about which one you use

gneill said:
Okay. What techniques have you learned about for reducing (simplifying) resistor networks? Can you spot any opportunities to apply them in the given circuit?

I know about combinations in parallel and in series, I could spot the parallel combination on the superior right corner (9Ω,8Ω,5Ω), they can be reduced to a resistance of aproximately 2.29Ω
there is a combination in series(8Ω,2Ω) that is equal a resistance of 10Ω
as well, there is a combination in parallel near B(2Ω,2Ω) that is equal 1Ω
but it just this, I don't know what I have to do with the first part, where there's are 5Ω resistances and a 9Ω resistance

Ok good so far. First, look for resistors in series and combine them into one resistor. Then see where that one is relative to the others

othonmp said:
I know about combinations in parallel and in series, I could spot the parallel combination on the superior right corner (9Ω,8Ω,5Ω), they can be reduced to a resistance of aproximately 2.29Ω
there is a combination in series(8Ω,2Ω) that is equal a resistance of 10Ω
as well, there is a combination in parallel near B(2Ω,2Ω) that is equal 1Ω
but it just this, I don't know what I have to do with the first part, where there's are 5Ω resistances and a 9Ω resistance

Yes, you should replace those parallel and serial resistances with their reduced values as you've stated, and continue to combine any more such opportunities that arise from those reductions.

Regarding the grouping in the top left corner near A, note the wire that bridges the combination. Since it's a perfect conductor, its resistance is zero. That ties together the points A and A'. What then must be the resistance between A and A'?

attachment.php?attachmentid=57440&stc=1&d=1365029445.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 488
gneill said:
Yes, you should replace those parallel and serial resistances with their reduced values as you've stated, and continue to combine any more such opportunities that arise from those reductions.

Regarding the grouping in the top left corner near A, note the wire that bridges the combination. Since it's a perfect conductor, its resistance is zero. That ties together the points A and A'. What then must be the resistance between A and A'?

attachment.php?attachmentid=57440&stc=1&d=1365029445.gif

So this first part can be disregarded and I just have to combine in parallel 2,29Ω with 8Ω+2Ω+1Ω

then the result would be aproximately 1,9Ω, is that right?

Yes, that's the right procedure :smile:

gneill said:
Yes, that's the right procedure :smile:

Thank you =]

Related to Electrodynamics- combination of resistors

What is the concept of resistors in electrodynamics?

Resistors are electrical components that are designed to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. They are made of materials with high resistance, such as carbon or metal alloys, and are used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit. In electrodynamics, resistors are essential in the combination of multiple components to create a functioning electrical system.

How do resistors affect the overall resistance of a circuit?

Resistors are added in series or parallel to a circuit, which affects the total resistance of the circuit. In series, the resistors add up to increase the total resistance, while in parallel, the resistors decrease the total resistance. This is important in electrodynamics as it allows for the control and regulation of current flow in a circuit.

What are the different types of resistors used in electrodynamics?

There are several types of resistors used in electrodynamics, including carbon composition, metal film, and wire-wound resistors. The type of resistor used depends on the specific application and the amount of resistance needed. For example, wire-wound resistors are often used in high-power applications, while carbon composition resistors are used in low-power applications.

How do resistors affect the voltage and current in a circuit?

Resistors affect the voltage and current in a circuit by converting electrical energy into heat. As current flows through a resistor, the resistance causes some of the energy to be lost as heat. This results in a decrease in voltage and current in the circuit. The amount of voltage and current change depends on the resistance of the resistor.

What is the difference between series and parallel combination of resistors?

In a series combination, resistors are connected end-to-end, and the same current flows through each resistor. In a parallel combination, resistors are connected side by side, and the voltage across each resistor is the same. The main difference is in the way the resistors affect the total resistance of the circuit. In series, resistors add up to increase resistance, while in parallel, they decrease resistance.