How to calculate the resistance in a combined circuit

In summary, a combined circuit is a circuit that consists of multiple resistors connected in a series or parallel arrangement. To calculate the resistance in a combined circuit, one must determine the type of arrangement (series or parallel) and use the appropriate formula. Ohm's Law can also be used to calculate resistance in a combined circuit. The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). There are various online tools and apps available to help calculate resistance in a combined circuit, such as All About Circuits, Circuit Calculator, and Circuit Digest.
Daniel2244

Homework Statement

Work out the total resistance of a combined circuit.
https://gyazo.com/935b96ff63689e2bff852f29ea48bf90 - picture of circuit layout
upload_2018-3-7_12-46-18.png

Homework Equations

Rt=R1+R2+Rn...
R=V/I
1/RT=1/R1+1/R2+1/Rn...

The Attempt at a Solution

RT=R1+R2 =100+150=250Ω for the resistors in series.
1/RT=1/R1+1/R2 = 1/RT=1/250Ω+1/200=9x10-3 RT=1/9x10-3=111.1Ω
I added the resistors in series to make it a parallel circuit.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-7_12-46-18.png
    upload_2018-3-7_12-46-18.png
    6 KB · Views: 984
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Your calculations look fine.

TSny said:
Looks good.
Thanks

gneill said:
Your calculations look fine.
Thanks

1. What is a combined circuit?

A combined circuit is a circuit in which multiple resistors are connected in a series or parallel arrangement. This means that the resistors are connected to each other in a way that affects the overall resistance of the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the resistance in a combined circuit?

To calculate the resistance in a combined circuit, you must first determine the type of arrangement (series or parallel) and then use the appropriate formula. For series circuits, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. For parallel circuits, the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each resistance.

3. Can I use Ohm's Law to calculate resistance in a combined circuit?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate resistance in a combined circuit. Ohm's Law states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. In a combined circuit, the voltage and current may vary, but the overall resistance can still be calculated using this formula.

4. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who first described the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

5. Are there any online tools or apps that can help me calculate resistance in a combined circuit?

Yes, there are many online tools and apps available that can help you calculate resistance in a combined circuit. These tools use the appropriate formulas and allow you to input the values of the resistors to get the total resistance. Some examples include All About Circuits, Circuit Calculator, and Circuit Digest.