Electrodynamics, Curl of P and D

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between curl of P and curl of D in statics, where the variation of B in time is equal to 0. It is mentioned that for linear mediums, these curls are always 0, but the reason for this is unknown. The speaker expresses a desire to understand the origin of this curl, similar to how they understand the curl and divergence of magnetic fields. They also inquire about the possibility of an expression for the curl of D or P that is independent of the other.
guiablo
I know that in statics curl of P=curl of D, since the variation of B in time = 0, and I also know that for linear mediums those curls are 0, but I don't know why, and I don't know if there is any expresion always valid.

I would like to know where this curl comes from like I know where the curl and the divergence of magnetic/inducción/magnetitation field comes so I can picture the electric field in my head easier, as I do with magnetic field, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this is valid always, but i would like to know if we can have the curl of D or P in an expresion that doesn't depend on the other one

Attachments

• IMG-20190530-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20190530-WA0007.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 293

1. What is the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field is a mathematical operation that measures the rotation or circulation of the vector field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ x and is a vector quantity.

2. How is the curl of a vector field calculated?

The curl of a vector field is calculated using the cross product of the vector field with the del operator (∇). This can be expressed in terms of partial derivatives as follows: ∇ x = (∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, ∂/∂z) x (P, Q, R).

3. What is the physical significance of the curl of a vector field?

The physical significance of the curl of a vector field is that it represents the tendency of the vector field to circulate or rotate around a given point. It is also related to the amount of rotational energy present in the vector field.

4. How is the curl of a vector field related to electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, the curl of the electric field (E) and magnetic field (B) are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves. The curl of the electric field is related to the rate of change of the magnetic field and vice versa, according to Maxwell's equations.

5. What is the difference between the curl of P and D in electrodynamics?

The curl of P and D in electrodynamics refer to the curl of the electric displacement field (D) and the polarization field (P), respectively. The difference between them lies in their physical interpretation - D represents the amount of electric flux per unit area, while P represents the dipole moment per unit volume of a material.