Electromagnet Design - Value of inductance L

In summary, the conversation is about the design of an electromagnet with specific specifications for the air gap, number of coil windings, and desired magnetic field. The conversation also discusses the equations and calculations involved in determining the inductance of the coil. However, there may be discrepancies in the final value for inductance due to inconsistent units, frequency, and other factors that may affect the inductance.
EEE12

Homework Statement

Hi all,

I am working on an electromagnet design. It is a C-shape with an air gap of 80mm. The number of coil windings is 320 turns. I would like to generate let's say B = 30 mT = 300 gauss in the air gap. Area of air gap Ag = 80mmX80mm = 6.4e-3. Mean length lg of electromagnet is 80mm.

Homework Equations

mmf (F) = Flux ∅ X Reluctance R

Flux ∅ = Magnetic field density (B) X Area of air gap

mmf (F) = no. of turns N X magnatising current (I)

Hence,

I = B.Ag.R/N (∅ = NI/R)

induced voltage ε = -N d∅/dt = -L di/dt

therefore,

L = N^2/R

on the other hand,

Ztotal = V/I

Resistance of the coil is too small therefore I assume that Load is purely inductive.

Ztotal = 2pi.f.L

so,

L = Ztotal/2.pi.f

The Attempt at a Solution

Total Reluctance R = Reluctance of Air gap as the reluctance of the core is negligible.

Reluctance of Air gap = lg/μ.Ag = 80mm/(4.pi.e-7X6.4mm^2) = 9.95e6

I = 30mT X 6.4 mm^2 x 9.95e6 / (320) = 6 A

L = N^2/R = (320)^2/9.95e6 = 10 mH

Vrms (AC) = 240 V, I = 6A, f = 50 Hz

Ztotal = 40Ω

L = 40Ω / 2.pi.50 = 127mH

Why are the values of L different? The difference is a factor of 10 which is significant. There must be an explanation which I seem to be missing. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your problem! It seems like you have made some good progress in your calculations, but there are a few things that may be causing the discrepancy in your values for L.

First, it's important to make sure that all of your units are consistent. In your calculation for reluctance of the air gap, you have used millimeters (mm) for length and square millimeters (mm^2) for area. However, in your calculation for L, you have used meters (m) for length. This could be causing a significant difference in your final value for L.

Secondly, it's important to consider the frequency of the AC current that you are using in your calculations. In your calculation for L, you have used a frequency of 50 Hz. However, in your initial calculation for mmf, you have not specified a frequency. Depending on the frequency, the inductance of the coil may change, which could be causing the difference in your values for L.

Finally, it's important to consider any other factors that may be affecting the inductance of your coil, such as the material of the core or any other components in the circuit. It's possible that these factors may be contributing to the difference in your values for L.

I hope this helps and good luck with your electromagnet design!

1. What is the value of inductance L in an electromagnet design?

The value of inductance L in an electromagnet design refers to the measure of the coil's ability to store magnetic energy. It is measured in units of henries (H) and is dependent on factors such as the number of turns in the coil, the cross-sectional area of the coil, and the permeability of the core material.

2. How does the value of inductance L affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The higher the value of inductance L, the stronger the electromagnet will be. This is because a higher value of inductance means that the coil can store more magnetic energy, leading to a stronger magnetic field. However, other factors such as the current flowing through the coil and the type of core material also play a role in determining the strength of an electromagnet.

3. Can the value of inductance L be changed in an already constructed electromagnet?

Yes, the value of inductance L can be changed in an already constructed electromagnet. This can be done by altering the number of turns in the coil, changing the core material, or adjusting the current flowing through the coil. However, it is important to note that changing the value of inductance L will also affect other characteristics of the electromagnet, such as its resistance and magnetic field strength.

4. What is the relationship between inductance L and frequency in an electromagnet design?

The value of inductance L is directly proportional to the frequency in an electromagnet design. This means that as the frequency increases, the value of inductance L also increases. This is because a higher frequency results in a faster change in the magnetic field, which requires a higher inductance to store the energy.

5. How does the core material affect the value of inductance L in an electromagnet?

The core material plays a significant role in determining the value of inductance L in an electromagnet. A material with high permeability, such as iron, will have a higher inductance value compared to a material with low permeability. This is because the core material affects the magnetic field strength and the ability of the coil to store magnetic energy.