Electromagnet on Starship Orion

In summary: A helium-3 fusion reaction would produce far more neutrons than a fission reaction, so a magnetic field would not be viable.
darkdave3000
TL;DR Summary
Can an electromagnet replace the steel pusher plate design?
Can an electromagnet push the ship forward by absorbing the momentum of a nuclear explosion via a magnetic field? Im thinking this will solve the problem of constantly having to repair the eroding plate if its replaced by a magnetic field sustained by a fission reactor generating power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
darkdave3000 said:
Can an electromagnet push the ship forward
Magnetic fields do no work.

If you meant something else please draw the field lines and coils.

Likes berkeman
Why would a steel plate work and magnetic fields not work if we are dealing with charged particles? Doesn't the Earth absorb the momentum of the solar wind?

Draw the coils and draw the field lines, or admit you aren't being serious.

Vanadium 50 said:
Magnetic fields do no work.
The explosion does the work. The question is about replacing the pusher plate with a pusher magnet.

Likes russ_watters
Well let's see what he says. What he wrote has the field doing some sort of "absorbing".

I don't think he has thought this through beyond "magnets". Like "plastics".

There's also the question of those uncharged neutrons and what they'd do to your DNA...

Likes collinsmark and berkeman
Isn't that how you gain superpowers?

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn
Vanadium 50 said:
Isn't that how you gain superpowers?
Not for long... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
darkdave3000 said:
Im thinking this will solve the problem of constantly having to repair the eroding plate if its replaced by a magnetic field sustained by a fission reactor generating power.
Magnetic fields don't help with all the uncharged particles and EM radiation from the explosion, and I fear the amount of charged particles might be too much for the magnetic field to handle. The energy of the charged particles is comparable to that inside a fusion reaction (I think, the temperatures appear to be of similar magnitudes), but while a fusion reactor has somewhere around a gram of material inside it, a nuclear explosion has hundreds of kilograms of 'stuff' flying out of it.

You could have a fission reactor power the electromagnet with megawatts.

darkdave3000 said:
You could have a fission reactor power the electromagnet with megawatts.
How heavy is that? What are the maintenance costs and the fuel costs on top of your drive fuel? How are you going to shield your passengers from the non-charged radiation and blast wave (which I rather suspect is the majority of the drive energy release)?

Engineering is never just a matter of saying "let's replace X component with Y component and everything will be better". There are always trade-offs, and I don't think we've even begun to scratch the surface of the support systems for the magnets that can turn the charged particles from a nuclear explosion. And you've removed the shielding against the non-charged stuff, so you need to think about that too.

Ibix said:
How heavy is that? What are the maintenance costs and the fuel costs on top of your drive fuel? How are you going to shield your passengers from the non-charged radiation and blast wave (which I rather suspect is the majority of the drive energy release)?

Engineering is never just a matter of saying "let's replace X component with Y component and everything will be better". There are always trade-offs, and I don't think we've even begun to scratch the surface of the support systems for the magnets that can turn the charged particles from a nuclear explosion. And you've removed the shielding against the non-charged stuff, so you need to think about that too.
Solve 1 problem at a time and then figure out ways to deal with the substantially reduced number of variables. For example maybe you can still have a pusher plate but have an electromagnet built in that is powered by said fission reactor and the pusher plate could experience less erosion because now it only needs to deal with neutrons. So yes replace X with Y component and Component Z has better survivability.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
@darkdave3000 , this is swirling down the same drain as your previous thread. People are seriously trying to engage with you and you are just, to use an expression from your other thread "too much handwaving by the OP for this to stand in the technical PF forums".

As I said, "Draw the coils and draw the field lines, or admit you aren't being serious."

You didn't. What conclusion should we draw?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman and phinds
Vanadium 50 said:
@darkdave3000 , this is swirling down the same drain as your previous thread. People are seriously trying to engage with you and you are just, to use an expression from your other thread "too much handwaving by the OP for this to stand in the technical PF forums".

As I said, "Draw the coils and draw the field lines, or admit you aren't being serious."

You didn't. What conclusion should we draw?
Hello, if I had all the answers I wouldnt bother creating a thread to ask such questions.

What if the explosion had no neutrons in the fusion? Lets say a Helium 3 type of fusion? Would an electromagnet become viable then?

Then I have an answer for you. The answer is "no".

If you don't know how it works, we won't either.

Likes Bystander and phinds
Thread closed for Moderation...

darkdave3000 said:
Hello, if I had all the answers I wouldnt bother creating a thread to ask such questions.
Well, you've gotten plenty of good answers in this thread. Thread will remain closed.

Likes Bystander

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire. This electric current creates a magnetic field around the wire, which can attract or repel other objects.

2. How does an electromagnet work on Starship Orion?

On Starship Orion, an electromagnet is used to control the ship's direction and speed. By adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the electromagnet can interact with the ship's metal hull and manipulate its movement.

3. What materials are needed to create an electromagnet on Starship Orion?

To create an electromagnet on Starship Orion, we would need a power source, such as a battery, and a coil of wire. The wire needs to be made of a conductive material, such as copper, and the power source needs to be strong enough to produce a magnetic field.

4. Can an electromagnet be turned off on Starship Orion?

Yes, an electromagnet on Starship Orion can be turned off by cutting off the electric current that is creating the magnetic field. This can be done by disconnecting the power source or by using a switch to control the flow of electricity.

5. What are the advantages of using an electromagnet on Starship Orion?

The main advantage of using an electromagnet on Starship Orion is its versatility. By adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the ship's movement can be controlled with precision. Additionally, electromagnets do not require any physical contact to manipulate objects, making them ideal for use in space where there is no friction or gravity to assist with movement.