Electromagnetic attraction. How?

In summary: Things attract because they are able to lower their potential energy by moving closer to one another.
salvestrom
Repulsion's got a nice, 'this emits that, hits this; see Newton's third Law' explanation. Attraction. I found one thing. It says this:

A virtual particle with momentum p corresponds to a plane wave filling all of space, with no definite position at all. It doesn't matter which way the momentum points; that just determines how the wavefronts are oriented. Since the wave is everywhere, the photon can be created by one particle and absorbed by the other, no matter where they are. If the momentum transferred by the wave points in the direction from the receiving particle to the emitting one, the effect is that of an attractive force.

I guess the first question should be: is this accurate?

I have others, but it would seem better to not voice them until someone can confirm, or put it in otherwords.

Physics news on Phys.org
another example why the concept of virtual particles in laymen's terms is not sufficient to explain the forces and should therefore be avoided; you can understand attraction based on virtual particles only via the math

Yes, virtual particles are not real and should never leave their home in the math of perturbation series. That's why we call them virtual. Things attract because they are able to lower their potential energy by moving closer to one another.

even in QED there is a strict derivation of a "static Coulomb potential", i.e. there is a Coulomb force not mediated by virtual particles plus "virtual particles on top";

maverick_starstrider said:
Yes, virtual particles are not real and should never leave their home in the math of perturbation series. That's why we call them virtual. Things attract because they are able to lower their potential energy by moving closer to one another.

I was under the impression they were called virtual simply because they never exist long enough to be observed, only their effects.

Your last sentence doesn't really explain anything and comes rather close to giving them an intent to their action.

Repulsion has an explanation that is a consequence of something that the particles are continuously doing that causes a certain reaction if they get close enough. I'm looking for a less general explanation than this of what action and reaction is taking place when attraction occurs. My original post contains someone elses explanation which seems to say that a photon emitted by an electron, such that the photon is headed away from, say, a proton can end up hitting the proton from 'behind' so that the electron's knockback from emission and the protons push forward from absorbtion push the pair closer.

Is the original explanation accurate? Is my interpretation accurate?

salvestrom said:
I was under the impression they were called virtual simply because they never exist long enough to be observed, only their effects.

Your last sentence doesn't really explain anything and comes rather close to giving them an intent to their action.

Repulsion has an explanation that is a consequence of something that the particles are continuously doing that causes a certain reaction if they get close enough. I'm looking for a less general explanation than this of what action and reaction is taking place when attraction occurs. My original post contains someone elses explanation which seems to say that a photon emitted by an electron, such that the photon is headed away from, say, a proton can end up hitting the proton from 'behind' so that the electron's knockback from emission and the protons push forward from absorbtion push the pair closer.

Is the original explanation accurate? Is my interpretation accurate?

No, virtual particles are not real. They're a mathematical artifact of how we solve certain equations in quantum field theory. That's why we call them virtual. The whole picture of "trading messenger particles" isn't physical. Far better to stay with the concept of a field.

Related to Electromagnetic attraction. How?

What is electromagnetic attraction?

Electromagnetic attraction is a phenomenon where objects with opposite charges are attracted to each other. This is due to the force exerted by electromagnetic fields, which are created by the movement of charged particles.

How does electromagnetic attraction work?

Electromagnetic attraction works through the interaction of two objects with opposite charges. When two objects are brought near each other, the positively charged particles in one object will be attracted to the negatively charged particles in the other object, creating a force of attraction between them.

What are the factors that affect electromagnetic attraction?

The strength of electromagnetic attraction is affected by the distance between the two objects, as well as the magnitude of the charges on each object. The closer the objects are and the larger the charges, the stronger the attraction will be.

How is electromagnetic attraction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic attraction is used in many everyday objects, such as magnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in electronic devices, such as speakers and headphones, to produce sound. In addition, electromagnetic attraction is used in medical imaging technologies, like MRI machines.

What are the practical applications of electromagnetic attraction in science and technology?

Electromagnetic attraction has many practical applications in science and technology. It is used in particle accelerators to accelerate particles to high speeds, in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also used in telecommunications to transmit signals through the use of electromagnetic waves.