Electromagnetic force and some trig

In summary, the diagram shows two equally charged pith balls with a mass of 1.5 g each, one suspended by a thread and the other brought close to it. The two balls reach equilibrium with a separation of 2.6 cm and the thread making a 20 degree angle with the vertical. Using the equation N = (k(C1C2)/r2) with k = 9 * 10^9, the charge on each pith ball can be calculated. The angle is necessary to break down the three forces involved into horizontal and vertical components.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows two pith balls, equally charged and each with a mass of 1.5 g. While one ball is suspended by a thread, the other is brought close to it and a state of equi- librium is reached. In that situation, the two balls are separated by 2.6 cm and the thread attached to the suspended ball makes an angle of 20 ̊ with the vertical. Calculate the charge on each of the pith balls.

Homework Equations

N = (k(C1C2)/r2

where k = 9 * 109

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem here is that I'm dealing with unknowns on both sides of the equation. I have to find out N and x.

N = (9*10^9(x^2))/1.3^2

I don't know why they give us the information that the angle is 20 degrees. In any case I figured out the dimensions of the triangle which are

7.2, 2.6, 7.65

but I can't figure out how that helps me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Force is a vector quantity.

There are three forces involved.

Break the forces down into horizontal and vertical components. (That's why you need to know the angle.)

Related to Electromagnetic force and some trig

1. What is electromagnetic force?

Electromagnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles. It is carried by particles called photons and is responsible for phenomena such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. How is electromagnetic force related to trigonometry?

Trigonometry is the study of the relationships between angles and sides in geometric figures. In the context of electromagnetic force, trigonometry is used to calculate the direction and strength of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the forces between charged particles.

3. What is the role of electromagnetic force in everyday life?

Electromagnetic force plays a crucial role in many everyday devices and technologies, such as cell phones, computers, and power lines. It also plays a role in natural phenomena, such as the formation of lightning and the Northern Lights.

4. How does electromagnetic force interact with matter?

Electromagnetic force can interact with matter in several ways, including attraction and repulsion between charged particles, induction of electric and magnetic fields, and absorption and emission of photons. These interactions are responsible for the behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular level.

5. What is the relationship between electromagnetic force and the other fundamental forces?

Electromagnetic force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for the interactions between charged particles, while the other forces govern interactions between other types of particles. The interactions between these forces are described by the theory of quantum mechanics.