Electromagnetic force on particles forming a square

In summary: L}. Setting this equal to the force between the central particle and a corner particle \frac{kqQ}{L^2} gives Q = \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{4}q = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}q.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of Q to make the total force on each of the four particles at the corners of a square, with charge q, zero when a point charge of opposite sign, magnitude Q, is fixed at the center. The value of Q is found to be 9/4q. The potential energy of the system is then discussed, with the suggestion to find
FS98

Homework Statement

[/B]
(a) At each corner of a square is a particle with charge q. Fixed at
the center of the square is a point charge of opposite sign, of magnitude Q. What value must Q have to make the total force on each of the four particles zero?
(b) With Q taking on the value you just found, show that the potential energy of the system is zero, consistent with the result from Problem 1.6.

Homework Equations

[/B]
F = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I set up the square with 4 particles at the corners and 1 particle at the center. I then set the x-axis to be along the line connecting three of the particles. After that I went on to find all of the forces acting on one of th corner particles by all other corner particles. The y compenents of all forces cancel out. For the x component, I found that for the two closer particles there was a force of kq^2/r^2 and for the farther particle there was a force of 1/4 of that because the value for r is twice as great. Setting the magnitude this force equal to the magnitude of the force applied by the particle in the center I got the answer Q = 9/4q.

Now for the second part I’m not quite sure what to do. I found the equation U = kqQ/r for the potential energy of two particles, but I’m not quite sure what to do with there being 5 particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
FS98 said:
Now for the second part I’m not quite sure what to do. I found the equation U = kqQ/r for the potential energy of two particles, but I’m not quite sure what to do with there being 5 particles.
You find an expression for the sum of all possible pairings kqiqj/rij. How many pairs are there?

Likes FS98
Here is another thought about the potential energy. What would be the potential energy of the system if the size of the square were infinite (if all four particles of the square were an infinite distance from the central particle)? How would the force acting on each particle change as you brought them closer together (in the square configuration)? Remember that change in potential energy is force integrated over distance.

Likes TSny
kuruman said:
You find an expression for the sum of all possible pairings kqiqj/rij. How many pairs are there?
I believe 10.

FS98 said:
I believe 10.
That is correct. However, there is duplication in that there are three distinct pairings of the same energy, so you only have three terms to calculate. The suggestion by @tnich is a good shortcut, however it is instructive to figure out how to answer in the general case when you have more than two charges in some arbitrary configuration.

FS98 said:

Homework Statement

I then set the x-axis to be along the line connecting three of the particles. . . For the x component, I found that for the two closer particles there was a force of kq^2/r^2 and for the farther particle there was a force of 1/4 of that because the value for r is twice as great. Setting the magnitude this force equal to the magnitude of the force applied by the particle in the center I got the answer Q = 9/4q.
I think your calculations of the x components of the forces are incorrect. If the distance between the central particle and a corner particle is L, then the magnitude of the force between opposite corner particles is [tex]\frac{kq^2}{4L^2}[/tex] and the force between neighbor corner particles is [tex]\frac{kq^2}{2L^2}[/tex]The x-component of the force between neighbor corner particles is [tex]\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}L}\frac{kq^2}{2L^2}[/tex]

1. What is electromagnetic force on particles forming a square?

Electromagnetic force on particles forming a square is the force exerted by the electromagnetic field on particles arranged in a square formation. This force can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges and distances between the particles.

2. How is electromagnetic force calculated?

Electromagnetic force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic force on particles?

The strength of electromagnetic force on particles is affected by the magnitude and sign of the charges of the particles, as well as the distance between them. Additionally, the presence of other charged particles in the surrounding environment can also affect the force.

4. How does the arrangement of particles in a square affect the electromagnetic force?

The arrangement of particles in a square can affect the electromagnetic force in several ways. If the particles have the same charge, arranging them in a square can result in a stronger repulsive force due to the closer proximity of like charges. On the other hand, arranging particles with opposite charges in a square can result in a stronger attractive force due to the closer proximity of opposite charges.

5. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic force on particles forming a square?

Electromagnetic force on particles forming a square has various applications in different fields such as chemistry, material science, and engineering. One example is the use of charged particles in a square formation to create an ion trap, which is used in mass spectrometry to analyze the composition of a substance. Another example is the use of electromagnetic force to manipulate the position and movement of particles in microfluidic devices for drug delivery or biochemical analysis.