Electromagnetic Induction Multiple Choice

In summary: Remember to always provide explanations along with your answers, as that shows a deeper understanding of the material. Keep up the good work!
yeah:)
Please go to the following link to see the multiple choice questions I am talking about (if I post the image directly into the thread, I shall immediately receive a warning about the size not being suitable for this forum):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731/4475421401_345855f17e_b.jpg

Here are my attempts at answering them, along with my explanations:

1 - C Explanation: by decreasing no. turns you decrease inductance, lowering both self and mutual inductance of the coils and the system.

2 - A Explanation: this is the only choice that would increase deflection; all other choices would decrease the current through the secondary coil.

3 - C Explanation: greater speed = higher frequency= more of the waveform appears on the scope.

4 - D Explanation: this is a turns ratio problem, and d.c. will not be transmitted through a transformer.

5 - E Explanation: faster insertion = more current and opposite direction = reverse current flow direction

6 - D Explanation: rate = power ?

7 - D (the answer is cut off) Explanation: you want a high voltage and a low current ( current flow causes power loss because wires have resistance)

Please tell me where my answers are wrong, and what the right answers should be (preferably with a small explanation of why that is so!).

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempts at answering these questions. Here is my evaluation of your answers and the correct answers:

1 - Correct! Decreasing the number of turns will decrease the inductance of the coils, which will also decrease the self and mutual inductance of the system.

2 - Incorrect. The correct answer is B. Increasing the number of turns on the secondary coil will increase the voltage, which will increase the deflection of the galvanometer.

3 - Correct! Increasing the speed of the rotation will increase the frequency of the waveform, causing more cycles to appear on the scope.

4 - Correct! Direct current (DC) cannot be transmitted through a transformer because it requires a changing magnetic field to induce a current.

5 - Correct! Faster insertion will cause a higher current and a reverse current flow direction due to the changing magnetic field.

6 - Incorrect. The correct answer is C. The rate of energy transfer (power) is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current.

7 - Correct! A high voltage and low current will minimize power loss due to resistance in the wires. This is known as the "power efficiency" of a system.

Overall, you did a good job with your explanations and understanding of the concepts. Keep practicing and asking questions to improve your understanding of these principles.

Related to Electromagnetic Induction Multiple Choice

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which an electrical current is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the early 19th century.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by the interaction between a changing magnetic field and a conductor. When a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field, an electrical current is induced in the conductor. This current flows in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field and the velocity of the conductor.

What are the applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and electromagnetic braking systems in trains.

What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on several factors, including the speed of the conductor through the magnetic field, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field.

What is the relationship between electromagnetic induction and Faraday's law?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. This means that the strength of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.