[Electromagnetics] E-Fields & Equipotential Surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential difference problem involving equipotential surfaces. The individual attempted a solution by calculating the potential difference between two points and plugging in the necessary values. However, they overlooked the fact that the equipotential surfaces were not evenly spaced. The conversation concludes by considering the relevance of calculating potential differences with respect to all equipotential surfaces and suggests drawing a V(y) graph for clarification.
lonelypancreas

Homework Statement

This is from the book Engineering Electromagnetics by Hayt & Buck.[/B]
phphGHczj.png

Homework Equations

E = - (ΔV/ΔL)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

At part (a), I took the potential difference between point A and the point directly above at the higher surface (106 V) and plugged in the needed values:
E = - (106-104 V)/(2-Ay mm) = - 1000 V/m which is ≠ -1075-Ay V/m.[/B]

Were there things that I have overlooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
lonelypancreas said:
Were there things that I have overlooked?
You overlooked that the 102 V equipotential is closer than 2 mm to the 104 V equipotential. You will get a higher magnitude for E if you take that into account.

kuruman said:
You overlooked that the 102 V equipotential is closer than 2 mm to the 104 V equipotential.
I think I'm kinda lost.
So do I have to include the potentials from point A with respect to ALL equipotential surfaces? (i.e. 106-104 V, 108-104 V, etc.)? And with respect to the 102-V surface, is the coordinate of the point below point A relevant? If so, how do I get its coordinate?

Your calculation give an average value somewhere between the two ep lines considered.
Maybe drawing an V(y) graph will make it clearer?

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical phenomenon created by the presence of electric charges. It exerts a force on other electric charges, causing them to move.

2. How is an electric field represented?

Electric fields are represented by vectors, which show the direction and strength of the field at any point in space.

3. What are equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces are imaginary surfaces that connect points in a space where the electric potential is the same. In other words, no work is required to move a charge between points on an equipotential surface.

4. How are electric fields and equipotential surfaces related?

Electric fields and equipotential surfaces are perpendicular to each other. This means that the electric field lines are always parallel to the equipotential surfaces. Additionally, the strength of the electric field is directly related to the spacing of the equipotential surfaces.

5. What is the significance of equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces help us visualize and understand the behavior of electric fields. They also allow us to calculate the electric potential at any point in space, which is useful in various applications such as designing electrical circuits and analyzing the behavior of particles in electric fields.