Electromagnetics question for physicists/engineers

In summary: If it does, then it is not proportional. If it does not, then it is proportional. If it is proportional, then the cross sectional area does not really matter.
jjb23
I've been looking into electromagnet design and there is a certain principle/set of equations that are bothering me...

(1) B = (kμ0Ni)/L

(2) ø = BA

Where;
- ø = total magnetic flux (wb)
- B = magnetic flux density (wb/m2)

I am trying to solve for an optimum cross sectional area of core material in a solenoid, however according to these equations flux density (field strength) is not proportional to cross sectional area. So in theory you could keep increasing the diameter of your core material to increase the total flux with all other variables staying constant.

I would have thought that total flux was a conserved quantity with flux density reducing with increased area. This does not seem to be the case, and makes little sense.

As a physical analogy, it seems like having a material of constant density and increasing the volume to increase the mass... breaking every rule in the book!

I may well be missing something somewhere along the way, if you could advise as to a solution to my cross sectional 'core area' problem that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you increase the crossectional area, you are increasing the length of wire in each loop too - giving more moving charges surrounding the area.

[edit] sorry, had to step out for a bit... to continue.
I realize that the circumference increases as L while area increases as L^2 - so including that idea into the argument suggests that flux density should depend (inversely) on the radius of the loops - which is what happens for a single loop.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html
... getting closer. Extend that line of thinking for a large number of loops ... the flux density will have an extra contribution from the number of loops - adding in an extra length dimension in the numerator.

To really see what's going on, you need to do the derivation.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I've already considered how coil length would increase with increased core diameter, but this only means that the flux density will remain constant at the surface of the core regardless of diameter. I have also done the derivations (several times!) and it still seems odd to me.

Anyone got any suggestions/equations for core area?

Well if it still seems odd after doing the maths, and after building one and measuring, then there is nothing we can do. You will just have to accept that it is odd.

Perhaps some trail and error will yield some relationships. It does seem a bit of a grey area; I may have just found myself a topic for my research paper, cheers.

You already have the relationships - you just find them odd.
But if you have not done any experiments on this before, you should certainly do them.
See if the magnetic field strength in the center of the solenoid (what the formula is for remember) depends on it's crossection area.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles. It involves the study of electric and magnetic fields, and how they affect each other.

2. How does electromagnetism work?

Electromagnetism works through the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. When an electric charge moves, it creates a magnetic field, and when a magnetic field changes, it creates an electric field. This interplay between the two fields is what allows for the transmission of energy and information through electromagnetic waves.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include electricity generation, communication through radio waves, magnetic levitation in trains, and medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines.

4. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible electromagnetic radiation, which includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These different types of radiation have different wavelengths and frequencies, and are used for various purposes in science and technology.

5. How is electromagnetism related to other branches of physics?

Electromagnetism is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics. It is also a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the interactions between all known particles in the universe. Electromagnetism also plays a role in the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics.