Electromagnetism and Clean Energy

In summary, this is a question about something that is not possible and may violate the laws of physics.)
slimrichy
Hey, currently I am a high school graduate going into college in the fall, but that isn't why I am here. There has been this question eating at the back of my head. Is there some way to induce an electromagnetic field, that could then induce a current in a wire or other some such medium, to power back into the field with enough left over to power of appliances? I understand that the question borders on perpetual motion machines, as well that may be what I am asking for. It is just that with my limited knowledge of physics I have some hope that there is a way to do this. If not, be so kind as to let me know and explain to me why. If there is, post a link to where I or others may find more information on this. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly induce E-M fields using currents. And E-M fields can certainly induce currents. But you have to get the energy from somewhere.

Energy is conserved, that is one of the major tenets of physics. As such, in order to perform work, you have to supply the energy to do so. In other words, in order to drive a current through my wires, I will have to perform work. I can't make the currents move arbitrarily. You can perhaps look at the basic principles behind an electric generator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_generator

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes, but remember that energy is conserved. You could certainly create a situation where you power an appliance and also partially replenish the original EM source fields. However, you could never fully replenish those fields because that would violate conservation of energy.

In most cases, I can't see why you would want to do this. The process of "replenishing" the field isn't going to be 100% efficient, so you're pretty much just creating an energy-wasting loop. It's almost like collecting some of the water from your shower and feeding it back into your hot water tank to replenish the hot water tank--all that water will just lose heat energy while it travels back to the tank, and you'll have to waste energy heating it up again. You would be better off just turning down the tap on your shower.

This is a question commonly asked by people contemplating a form of "leeching" by people who live near very high voltage towers. I've never seen this actually done and suppose the height of the towers, the distance away from the lines and the inverse square law preclude it's effectiveness. I would like to see the Math though.

enorbet said:
This is a question commonly asked by people contemplating a form of "leeching" by people who live near very high voltage towers. I've never seen this actually done and suppose the height of the towers, the distance away from the lines and the inverse square law preclude it's effectiveness. I would like to see the Math though.

IIRC, Mythbusters tried this and found out that it was impractical. Theoretically, it's possible, but you'll need a lot of loops of wire, and you'll need them to be pretty close to the lines, which means you'll be building a big tower right beside the power lines to mount your inductive "collector" on. At that point, you might as well just tap into the power lines directly.

In the context of this thread, it's worth noting that whether you tap in directly or use a crazy inductive coil system, it looks pretty much the same on the power company's end. They just see that one of their lines is losing power when it shouldn't be. There's nothing magical about electromagnetic induction, it's just more complicated.

slimrichy said:
Hey, currently I am a high school graduate going into college in the fall, but that isn't why I am here. There has been this question eating at the back of my head. Is there some way to induce an electromagnetic field, that could then induce a current in a wire or other some such medium, to power back into the field with enough left over to power of appliances? I understand that the question borders on perpetual motion machines, as well that may be what I am asking for. It is just that with my limited knowledge of physics I have some hope that there is a way to do this. If not, be so kind as to let me know and explain to me why. If there is, post a link to where I or others may find more information on this. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the PF.

What you are asking about amounts to a Perpetual Motion Machine (PMM) or "Free Energy". Both are banned topics here on the PF. (See the PF Rules under Site Info at the top of the page)

Please follow the links in the Rules to learn why PMMs and Free Energy do not work:

PF Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electrically charged particles create electric and magnetic fields, and how these fields interact with each other.

2. How does electromagnetism relate to clean energy?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in the production and distribution of clean energy. For example, it is used in renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It also powers electric vehicles and helps in efficient energy storage and transmission.

3. What are some examples of clean energy technologies that use electromagnetism?

Some examples of clean energy technologies that use electromagnetism include wind turbines, solar panels, hydroelectric dams, geothermal power plants, and electric vehicles. These technologies harness the power of electromagnetism to generate and utilize clean energy.

4. How does electromagnetism contribute to reducing carbon emissions?

Electromagnetism helps reduce carbon emissions by providing an alternative to fossil fuels for energy production. By utilizing renewable sources of energy that rely on electromagnetism, we can reduce our dependence on non-renewable resources and decrease the amount of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere.

5. What are some current advancements in using electromagnetism for clean energy?

There are many ongoing research and development efforts to improve the use of electromagnetism for clean energy. Some examples include the development of more efficient wind turbines and solar panels, advancements in energy storage technologies, and the integration of electromagnetism with other renewable energy sources such as tidal and wave energy. Additionally, there is ongoing research on using electromagnetism to capture and store excess energy from renewable sources, reducing waste and increasing overall efficiency.