Electromagnetism in the Lithosphere and Ionosphere

In summary, the conversation was about a speculative architecture project involving the possibility of a solar flare super-charging the Earth's ionosphere and its potential effects on the geomagnetic rocks in the Earth's lithosphere and the telluric current. The individual was seeking references and information on this topic to inform their project thesis. It was also mentioned that a strong background in physics is necessary to properly understand and approach this topic. Suggestions were made to research coronal mass ejections, geomagnetic field storming, and aurora for further information.
Paul Brooke
Hi guys,

Disclaimer: not a physicist (I wish I was that brainy)

Quick question regarding a speculative architecture project I am undertaking;

In the completely hypothetical event of a huge, otherworldly solar flare super-charging the Earth's ionosphere beyond anything we have ever recorded before, is there the possibility of the geomagnetic rocks in the Earth's lithosphere becoming charged, or an effect to the telluric current.

Also, I am completely aware that human life would probably not survive this, welcome to the world of a speculative architecture student haha

Any references etc, just throw them in there, never too much info!

Thanks for the help guys!

Likes bocchesegiacomo
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Paul.

FYI, we try to help others answer questions here at the PF, but you have to help us understand your question as best as you can please. So posting a question with a series of specific terms that folks have to have prior knowledge of or spend time Googling is kind of a problem. I burned time Googling some of your terms, but am still unsure of what you are asking. Are you just asking if we can build shielded shelters to survive a major solar flare event?
Paul Brooke said:
regarding a speculative architecture project I am undertaking
Paul Brooke said:
welcome to the world of a speculative architecture student
Interesting -- is that a new vocation that I'm just learning about? :smile:
Paul Brooke said:
ionosphere
http://www.blueplanet.nsw.edu.au/SiteFiles/blueplanetnsweduau/atmosphere.jpg
atmosphere.jpg

Paul Brooke said:
lithosphere
http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/images/lithosphere.gif
lithosphere.gif

Paul Brooke said:
or an effect to the telluric current

Paul Brooke said:
In the completely hypothetical event of a huge, otherworldly solar flare super-charging the Earth's ionosphere beyond anything we have ever recorded before, is there the possibility of the geomagnetic rocks in the Earth's lithosphere becoming charged, or an effect to the telluric current.

As far as I am aware, the ionosphere is not charged, it is ionized, and there's nothing the Sun can do to "supercharge" it. Assuming a massive influx of free electrons or protons from space, I suppose the excess charge would be discharged through the atmosphere to the ground though, so perhaps that was what you were asking?

Drakkith said:
As far as I am aware, the ionosphere is not charged, it is ionized, and there's nothing the Sun can do to "supercharge" it. Assuming a massive influx of free electrons or protons from space, I suppose the excess charge would be discharged through the atmosphere to the ground though, so perhaps that was what you were asking?

Thank you for your reply, this is very helpful in order to formulate my project thesis. I will research more into the influx of free electrons and protons to inform the direction of my study.

berkeman said:
Interesting -- is that a new vocation that I'm just learning about? :smile:

Very interesting indeed, my vocation is BSc Architecture / MArch at The Bartlett School of Architecture, however I enjoy taking a more prospective approach to the study to "think outside of the box" as a precursor to succinct architectural science and synthesis.

Sorry for the confusion in my question, my main point of enquiry is whether any solar event can have an affect on the charge of the geomagnetic rocks in the Earth.

Thanks again for taking the time to search up some of the terminology used in my question, as you can probably tell I'm not a regular to the Physics Forum haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Brooke said:
Thank you for your reply, this is very helpful in order to formulate my project thesis. I will research more into the influx of free electrons and protons to inform the direction of my study.

Paul Brooke said:
Very interesting indeed, my vocation is BSc Architecture / MArch at The Bartlett School of Architecture, however I enjoy taking a more prospective approach to the study to "think outside of the box" as a precursor to succinct architectural science and synthesis.

Be aware that you cannot approach this in half-measures. By that I mean that trying to do independent study of this topic, without having all of the prerequisite knowledge of physics that those who specialize in this field have, will get you nowhere. It will almost certainly lead you astray without you even knowing. Unless you're just interested in learning about the ionosphere and the effect that "space weather" has on it as a hobby, then don't even try. You'll just be wasting your time. Instead, strive to learn physics from the ground up before even attempting to approach this topic.

As we often say around here, you need to know where the boundaries of the box are before you can begin to think outside of it.

Likes berkeman
Paul Brooke said:

for that part of it, you should be googling coronal mass ejections, geomagnetic field storming, aurora

I have quite a few posts on the subject, mainly about the occurrence thereof. Lots more in depth info on the net.

Likes berkeman

Related to Electromagnetism in the Lithosphere and Ionosphere

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for many phenomena, including the behavior of magnets, electric currents, and light.

How does electromagnetism relate to the lithosphere and ionosphere?

The lithosphere and ionosphere are both layers of the Earth's atmosphere that are affected by electromagnetism. The lithosphere is the solid outer layer of the Earth, and its magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's core. The ionosphere is a layer of charged particles in the upper atmosphere that is influenced by solar winds and the Earth's magnetic field.

What is the role of electromagnetism in the formation of the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is primarily created by the convection of molten iron in the outer core. This process, known as the geodynamo, is driven by the Earth's rotation and the heat from its core. The resulting magnetic field extends from the Earth's core to the ionosphere, providing protection from solar winds and guiding compasses.

How does electromagnetism affect the movement of tectonic plates?

The Earth's lithosphere is made up of several tectonic plates that move and interact with each other. These movements are largely driven by convection currents in the mantle, which are influenced by the Earth's magnetic field. As the plates move, they also generate electric currents that contribute to the Earth's magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetism in the lithosphere and ionosphere?

Electromagnetism is used in many ways to study and understand the Earth's lithosphere and ionosphere. For example, scientists use magnetometers to measure the Earth's magnetic field, and seismometers to detect vibrations caused by tectonic activity. Electromagnetic waves are also used in remote sensing techniques, such as radar and satellite imaging, to gather data about the Earth's surface and atmosphere.