Electromagnetism used to determine chemical mixtures?

In summary, the conversation is about using electromagnetism to determine the composition of various chemical mixtures for a physics assignment. The suggested methods for researching this topic are nuclear magnetic resonance and infrared spectroscopy, which can be found by searching on Google or reading relevant Wikipedia articles.
menco
Hi everyone,

I have been given an assignment with my physics subject and describe in 400 words how electromagnetism can be used to determine the composition of different chemical mixtures

I was hoping someone could lead me to a couple of websites to do my research. I have entered about every key word i know into google but I am not having any luck finding information.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic waves have been pretty revolutionary in chemical identification. The first things that come to my mind are nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and infrared spectroscopy (IR spectroscopy) which have a multitude of applications in chemistry, medical imaging, forensic science etc. If you google either of these technologies you will find heaps of information.

Here are the relevant Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_magnetic_resonance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_spectroscopy

1. What is electromagnetism used for in determining chemical mixtures?

Electromagnetism is used to measure the physical properties of substances, such as their conductivity, magnetic susceptibility, and dielectric constant. These properties can be used to differentiate between different chemical mixtures.

2. How does electromagnetism work in determining chemical mixtures?

Electromagnetism works by passing an electric current through a sample of the mixture and measuring the response of the sample to the electric field. The results can then be compared to known properties of different chemical mixtures to determine the composition of the sample.

3. What types of chemical mixtures can be determined using electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism can be used to determine the composition of both liquid and solid mixtures. It is commonly used in the analysis of solutions, but can also be applied to solid samples by melting them or dissolving them in a suitable solvent.

4. Is electromagnetism a reliable method for determining chemical mixtures?

Yes, electromagnetism is a highly reliable method for determining chemical mixtures. It is a non-destructive technique, meaning that the sample remains intact during the analysis, and it can provide accurate results even for complex mixtures.

5. Are there any limitations to using electromagnetism for determining chemical mixtures?

While electromagnetism is a powerful tool for analyzing chemical mixtures, there are some limitations to its use. For example, it may not be suitable for mixtures with very low concentrations of certain components, and it may not be able to distinguish between substances with similar physical properties.