Experiment Exposing Tissue to Pulsed Electromagnetic Field

In summary, the magnetic device with the information as followed:The PIC16F886 generates 150 microseconds (µs) of pulse frequency of 80 Hz. 80 Hz means there are 80 cycles of pulses in a T duration which equals to 12.5 milliseconds (ms), 6.25 ms each for active pulse and deactivate pulse. In a 6.25 ms duration, the 150 µs pulse width will took about 42 of pulsing cycles to complete. For second duration, the pulses will take about 6667 cycles to complete. The device is to be used with the pulsed EMF ranging from 0.2 mT – 5 mT between
haslinda
Hai guys,

My background is from tissue engineering more towards to biology. I am doing exposure of electromagnetic field to a human sample.

I have been assigned to use the magnetic device with the information as followed:
The PIC16F886 generates 150 microseconds (µs) of pulse frequency of 80 Hz. 80 Hz means there are 80 cycles of pulses in a T duration which equals to 12.5 milliseconds (ms), 6.25 ms each for active pulse and deactivate pulse. In a 6.25 ms duration, the 150 µs pulse width will took about 42 of pulsing cycles to complete. For second duration, the pulses will take about 6667 cycles to complete.

I really hope somebody can assist me , coz i have to decide the range of EMF that i should use in my work.

Biology news on Phys.org
haslinda said:
Hai guys,

My background is from tissue engineering more towards to biology. I am doing exposure of electromagnetic field to a human sample.

I have been assigned to use the magnetic device with the information as followed:
The PIC16F886 generates 150 microseconds (µs) of pulse frequency of 80 Hz. 80 Hz means there are 80 cycles of pulses in a T duration which equals to 12.5 milliseconds (ms), 6.25 ms each for active pulse and deactivate pulse. In a 6.25 ms duration, the 150 µs pulse width will took about 42 of pulsing cycles to complete. For second duration, the pulses will take about 6667 cycles to complete.

I really hope somebody can assist me , coz i have to decide the range of EMF that i should use in my work.
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Is this question for a schoolwork assignment? And what are you asking about -- Are you asking about how to calculate the value of the pulsed EM field? What is your transducer (magnetic coil, TENS electrodes, other)?

Hai, this is my experimental work. Actually, I want to use ranging from 0.2 mT – 5 mT between the frequency of 15-75 Hz on the proliferation. It was pulsed EMF. Can you help me to elaborate bout the description of the device. What is the meaning of active and deactive pulse. Then what is the meaning of "In a 6.25 ms duration, the 150 µs pulse width will took about 42 of pulsing cycles to complete".

Last edited by a moderator:
What size and volume of tissue do you want to expose this AC magnetic field to? What instrument(s) do you have to drive the AC signal into the coil with? You mention using a PIC16F886 to generate the waveforms, but those will be low-power logic signals, which need to be amplified to drive the coil that generates the magnetic field.

You mention lots of different numbers for frequency and pulse widths (not all of them compatible). Can you post a link to the reading you've been doing so far that has these numbers in it?

Finally, are you working for a Primary Investigator (PI) on this project? What medical experimental standards are you doing this testing to? Will you be using human volunteer subjects, or will you be using animals for the experiments?

berkeman said:
What size and volume of tissue do you want to expose this AC magnetic field to? What instrument(s) do you have to drive the AC signal into the coil with? You mention using a PIC16F886 to generate the waveforms, but those will be low-power logic signals, which need to be amplified to drive the coil that generates the magnetic field.

You mention lots of different numbers for frequency and pulse widths (not all of them compatible). Can you post a link to the reading you've been doing so far that has these numbers in it?

Finally, are you working for a Primary Investigator (PI) on this project? What medical experimental standards are you doing this testing to? Will you be using human volunteer subjects, or will you be using animals for the experiments?
Can i have your email sir

haslinda said:
Can i have your email sir
Nope. You can PM me if want to ask something private, but it's best to keep the discussion in the open forums. To send a PM, click on my Avatar and "Start a conversation"...

berkeman said:
Nope. You can PM me if want to ask something private, but it's best to keep the discussion in the open forums. To send a PM, click on my Avatar and "Start a conversation"...
ok i did reply to you

1. What is a pulsed electromagnetic field?

A pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is delivered in short bursts or pulses. It is used in various medical and scientific applications, including the treatment of tissue injuries and diseases.

2. How does exposing tissue to a pulsed electromagnetic field affect it?

Exposing tissue to a pulsed electromagnetic field can cause changes in the cells and tissues, including increased blood flow, improved cellular metabolism, and reduced inflammation. This can help with tissue repair and regeneration.

3. What types of tissue can be exposed to a pulsed electromagnetic field?

Pulsed electromagnetic fields can be used on a variety of tissues, including muscles, bones, nerves, and skin. They have been studied for their potential benefits in treating conditions such as chronic pain, osteoarthritis, and fractures.

4. Are there any risks associated with exposing tissue to a pulsed electromagnetic field?

While there is some evidence to suggest that PEMF therapy may have potential risks, such as interference with pacemakers or other electronic devices, most studies have not found any significant adverse effects. However, it is always important to consult with a healthcare professional before undergoing any new treatment.

5. What are the potential benefits of exposing tissue to a pulsed electromagnetic field?

Some potential benefits of exposing tissue to a pulsed electromagnetic field include improved tissue healing, reduced pain and inflammation, and improved overall health and wellness. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effects and potential benefits of PEMF therapy.

Back