Electromotive Force Homework: Vertical Conducting Rods & Uniform Magnetic Field

What is the induced current?I=dq/dt=CdV/dt=C\frac{d}{dt}(vBd)=CBd\frac{dv}{dt}=CBdaIn summary, a horizontal conducting rod is released at position y=y0 at time t=0 and is always in contact with two vertical conducting rods connected to a capacitor of capacitance C. The system is then immersed in a uniform magnetic field B perpendicular to both rods. The induced current is calculated using the standard formulas of electromagnetism, and the balance of energy is analyzed in terms of the system's mass, velocity, and the applied magnetic field.
intervoxel

Homework Statement

Two vertical conducting rods separated by a distance d are connected to a capacitor of capacitance C. Another horizontal conducting rod of mass m is released at position y=y0 at time t=0 always in contact with the two vertical ones. The set is immersed in a uniform magnetic field B perpendicular to both rods.

a) Calculate the acceleration; the velocity and the distance delta y at time t.
b) What is the induced current?
c) Analyse the balance of energy of the system.

Homework Equations

- standard electromagnetism formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
- calculate the emf:

[tex]
\varepsilon=\oint f_s \cdot dl
[/tex]
[tex]
F_s=q(v\times B)
[/tex]
[tex]
f_s=v\times B
[/tex]
[tex]
\varepsilon=vBd
[/tex]

[tex]
\varepsilon=V
[/tex]
Is the signal correct?

- calculate the acceleration:

[tex]
a=g - F_M/m=g-[q(v\times B)]/m
[/tex]

Here I'm stuck: How can I get rid of q?

[tex]
v=\int_0^t a dt
[/tex]

[tex]
y=y_0+vt+(1/2)at^2
[/tex]

b)

[tex]
I=dq/dt=CdV/dt=C\frac{d}{dt}(vBd)=CBd\frac{dv}{dt}=CBda
[/tex]

c)

- formulate energy balance:

[tex]
mgy=(1/2)mv^2+(1/2)CV^2
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
intervoxel said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
- calculate the emf:

[tex]
\varepsilon=\oint f_s \cdot dl
[/tex]
[tex]
F_s=q(v\times B)
[/tex]
[tex]
f_s=v\times B
[/tex]
[tex]
\varepsilon=vBd
[/tex]

[tex]
\varepsilon=V
[/tex]
Is the signal correct?
Signal?

If you're asking about [itex]\varepsilon = vBd[/itex], sure, that looks right. I would have used [itex]\varepsilon = -\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi_B}{\mathrm{d}t}[/itex] to get it, but the answer is the same either way.

intervoxel said:
- calculate the acceleration:

[tex]
a=g - F_M/m=g-[q(v\times B)]/m
[/tex]

Here I'm stuck: How can I get rid of q?
Try [tex]\vec{F}_M = I\vec{L}\times\vec{B}[/tex] instead... at least, that's all I can think of. If that's what they're after, it seems a little strange that the problem asks you to calculate acceleration before induced current, unless they want you to leave [itex]a[/itex] in terms of [itex]I[/itex].

Oh, I see. More generally
[tex]
\overrightarrow{F}=I\oint_C \overrightarrow{dl}\times \overrightarrow{B}
[/tex]
Thank you.

Related to Electromotive Force Homework: Vertical Conducting Rods & Uniform Magnetic Field

1. What is electromotive force (EMF)?

Electromotive force, also known as voltage, is a measure of the energy supplied by a source to move a unit charge through an electrical circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current.

2. How do vertical conducting rods and a uniform magnetic field relate to EMF?

In this scenario, the vertical conducting rods act as the source of EMF, while the uniform magnetic field acts as the medium through which the EMF is transmitted. The relative motion between the conducting rods and the magnetic field creates a force that drives the flow of electric current.

3. What is the equation for calculating EMF in this setup?

The equation for calculating EMF in this setup is EMF = BvL, where B is the strength of the magnetic field, v is the velocity of the conducting rods, and L is the length of the rods. This equation is known as Faraday's law of induction.

4. How does the direction of the EMF relate to the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the EMF is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the conducting rods. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field, the fingers point in the direction of the velocity, and the palm faces the direction of the EMF.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of the EMF in this setup?

The magnitude of the EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the conducting rods, and the length of the rods. Additionally, the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the rods' motion can also affect the magnitude of the EMF.