Electron accelerated through a potential and magnetic field

In summary, the question is asking for the voltage required to accelerate electrons to a certain speed and the comparison of the radius of curvature for a proton and electron accelerated through the same potential in a magnetic field. The first part is solved using the equation for potential difference and kinetic energy, while for the second part, the equation for radius of curvature is used. It is important to note that the velocities and radii of curvature for the proton and electron are not the same and should not be compared directly, but rather their ratio should be used for comparison. The negative signs in the equations should not be a concern unless asked to specify the direction of the orbit.
doggydan42

Homework Statement

(a) What voltage will accelerate electrons to a speed of ##6.00 \times 10^{-7} m/s## ? (b) Find the radius of curvature of the path of a proton accelerated through this potential in a 0.500-T field and compare this with the radius of curvature of an electron accelerated through the same potential.

Homework Equations

$$r=\frac{mv}{qB}
\\ q\Delta V = \Delta U
\\ K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = -\Delta U$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I used the second equation and set it equal to the kinetic energy, K. This gave a potential difference of ##1.02 \times 10^{-24} V##. Then for the b), I used the first equation to solve for ##r = |-6.82 \times 10^{-18}| = 6.82 \times 10^{-18}##. Though I was unsure of how to solve for the radius of curvature when accelerated through the same potential, nor how to compare the two values. Also, should the r value been negative, or am I missing a negative sign in one of the values?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of the electron looks awfully small. Are you sure of the exponent? The radius should be positive. Also, although you do not mention it, you may have assumed that the proton has the same speed as the electron. That is not true. If the proton is accelerated by the same voltage as the electron, what quantity do they have in common?

From the problem, it does have a negative, though it could be a type (it would not be the first one if it is).

So I would have to solve for the velocity of the proton using the potential solved from the first part. I solve for ##v = 1.4 \times 10^{-8} m/s## Then I would use that to solve for the radius of curvature of the proton ##r_p = 9.73 \times 10^{-17} m##. Similarly, I used the values for the electron to solve for ##r_e = 2.27 \times 10^{-18} m##. Would I just subtract ##r_p - r_e## to compare them?

Also, for the radius of curvature of the electron, what value other than q be negative so that the signs cancel to get a positive radius? Would the velocity be negative?

Thank you in advance

Comparison in this context means finding how many times a quantity is larger than another. If someone asked you to compare the mass of the Earth (6×1024 kg) to the mass of the Sun (2×1030 kg), the ratio is more informative than the difference. Differences become informative for comparison if the two quantities have the same order of magnitude. For example you can say "my brother lives 3 miles farther away from my parents than I", or you can say "the distance of my brother's house to my parents house is 1.6 times the distance of my house to their house."

All quantities in ##r=\frac{mv}{qB}## are positive. Strictly speaking if you are comparing radii for the electron and proton, the negative sign introduced by the charge of the electron means that the orbit of the electron in the magnetic field is in the opposite direction from that of the proton. Unless you are asked to specify the direction of the orbit, don't worry about the negative sign. Same thing applies to the velocity. In these equations the symbol "v" stands for "speed", the magnitude of the velocity, which is always positive.

1. What is the purpose of accelerating electrons through a potential and magnetic field?

The purpose of accelerating electrons through a potential and magnetic field is to increase the energy and speed of the electrons. This can be used for a variety of purposes, such as in particle accelerators for scientific research or in electron microscopes for imaging.

2. How does the potential and magnetic field affect the trajectory of the accelerated electrons?

The potential and magnetic field work together to control the path of the accelerated electrons. The electric potential creates a force that accelerates the electrons, while the magnetic field changes the direction of their motion, resulting in a curved trajectory.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the potential and magnetic field and the acceleration of the electrons?

The strength of the potential and magnetic field directly affects the acceleration of the electrons. A stronger potential will result in a greater force on the electrons, leading to a higher acceleration. Similarly, a stronger magnetic field will result in a greater change in direction and thus a higher acceleration.

4. How do scientists control and manipulate the potential and magnetic field to achieve desired results?

Scientists can control and manipulate the potential and magnetic field using specialized equipment such as electrodes and magnets. By adjusting the strength and orientation of these components, scientists can vary the path and speed of the accelerated electrons, allowing them to achieve specific results for their research purposes.

5. What are some potential applications of accelerating electrons through a potential and magnetic field?

Accelerating electrons through a potential and magnetic field has a wide range of applications in scientific research, including particle physics, material science, and medical imaging. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of semiconductors and in the treatment of wastewater.