Electron brought to rest by the E-field, potential difference question

In summary, an electron was brought to rest by an electric field and had a potential energy of -0.712V.
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

An Electron with an initial speed of 500,000m/s is brought to rest by an electric field
a)did the electron move into a region of higher or lower potential? I
b) what was the potential difference that stopped the electron?

Homework Equations

ΔV=ΔU/q
ΔU=-W

The Attempt at a Solution

a) my logic: if the electron is brought to rest that would mean the thing creating the electric field would be negative (since like charges repel each other). So I am imagining something like Electric Field.jpg attached.
Since I know that ΔV=ΔU/q, an electron would have a very high potential energy when near a negative plate (like in my pic). That means the closer it travels in the direction of the charged plate it is gaining electric potential based on the equation ΔV=ΔU/q, since q is not changing.
So I believe the electron traveled from a region of lower electric potential to higher electric potential.
when the problem states "did the electron move into a region of higher or lower potential" they are saying electric potential, correct? just want to clarify

b)
ΔV=ΔU/q
ΔU=-W
W=ΔK=(1/2)mvf2-(1/2)mvi2
combining these equations:
ΔV=-[1/2)mvf2-(1/2)mvi2]/q
the electrons is brought to rest so vf=0
so the equation becomes:
ΔV=(1/2)mvi2/q→(1.1387x10-19)/(-1.602x10-19)=-0.712V
Why do we have to use -e for electron? I know the charge on an electron is -1.602x10^-19, however I remember in the last few chapters when talking about electric fields etc sometimes we didn't have to use the negative value of the electron

Attachments

• Electric Field.jpg
    Electric Field.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the initial kinetic energy of the electron, given its initial velocity? Express your answer in Joules initially, and then in eV. What was the final kinetic energy in eV. What was the decelerating potential...? :smile:

Likes cookiemnstr510510
cookiemnstr510510 said:
... an electron would have a very high potential ...
Electrons don't have electric potential V. They have potential energy U = qV, where, for an electron, q = -1.6×0-19C. I suggest that you figure out the answers to the following three questions
1. Do electric field lines point from a region of high electric potential V to a region of low electric potential V or the other way around?
2. When an electron moving with some initial speed is stopped by an electric field, does it move from a region of low electric potential energy U to a region of high electric potential energy U or the other way around?
3. When an electron moving with some initial speed is stopped by an electric field, does it move from a region of low electric potential V to a region of high electric potential V or the other way around?

Likes cookiemnstr510510 and berkeman
kuruman said:
Electrons don't have electric potential V.
right, my mistake. Will edit.
kuruman said:
. Do electric field lines point from a region of high electric potential V to a region of low electric potential V or the other way around?
Im not sure
kuruman said:
1. When an electron moving with some initial speed is stopped by an electric field, does it move from a region of low electric potential energy U to a region of high electric potential energy U or the other way around?
slightly confused, do you mean once it stops what happens after?
I think you meant while being brought to rest was it moving from a region of low electric potential energy U to a region of high electric potential energy U. The answer to this: Since it is being stopped this means it was traveling towards a negatively charged object (or group of objects). The closer you bring electrons to negatively charged things its electric potential energy increases (and its kinetic energy decreases to zero, which is why it stopped in the first place).
So It was moving from a lower electric potential energy to a higher electric potential energy.
kuruman said:
2. When an electron moving with some initial speed is stopped by an electric field, does it move from a region of low electric potential V to a region of high electric potential V or the other way around?
Using my answer to part 1 and the equation ΔV=U/q, if U is small then ΔV is small and vice versa. Therefore the electron went from a region of lower electric potential to higher electric potential.

cookiemnstr510510 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a) my logic: if the electron is brought to rest that would mean the thing creating the electric field would be negative (since like charges repel each other). So I am imagining something like Electric Field.jpg attached.
Since I know that ΔV=ΔU/q, an electron would have a very high potential when near a negative plate (like in my pic). That means the closer it travels in the direction of the charged plate it is gaining electric potential based on the equation ΔV=ΔU/q, since q is not changing.
So I believe the electron traveled from a region of lower electric potential to higher electric potential.
when the problem states "did the electron move into a region of higher or lower potential" they are saying electric potential, correct? just want to clarify
For that last embedded question:
cookiemnstr510510 said:
when the problem states "Did the electron move into a region of higher or lower potential ? " they are saying electric potential, correct?
just want to clarify
Yes. They are referring to electric potential.

Likes cookiemnstr510510

1. What is an electron brought to rest by the E-field?

An electron brought to rest by the E-field refers to the process in which an electron, which has a negative charge, is stopped or slowed down by an electric field. This can happen when the electric field exerts a force on the electron that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by the electron's own electric field.

2. How does an E-field bring an electron to rest?

When an electron moves through an electric field, it experiences a force due to the interaction between its negative charge and the field's electric field lines. This force causes the electron to slow down and eventually come to rest when the forces are balanced.

3. What is potential difference in relation to an electron brought to rest by the E-field?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is a measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. In the case of an electron brought to rest by the E-field, the potential difference refers to the amount of energy that the electric field gives to or takes away from the electron as it is being brought to rest.

4. How is the potential difference calculated for an electron brought to rest by the E-field?

The potential difference for an electron brought to rest by the E-field can be calculated using the formula V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance the electron travels in the electric field.

5. What factors affect the potential difference in an electron brought to rest by the E-field?

The potential difference in an electron brought to rest by the E-field can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance the electron travels, and the charge of the electron. Additionally, the presence of other charges or objects in the electric field can also impact the potential difference.