What Is the Escape Speed of an Electron from a Charged Glass Sphere?

In summary, the escape speed of an electron launched from the surface of a 1.0-cm-diameter glass sphere charged to 10nC is calculated using the equation U = (kq1q2)/r and the sum of kinetic and potential energy being zero. After correcting the mistake of using the incorrect radius of the sphere, the correct answer of 8.0 x 107 m/s is obtained.
mitchy16

Homework Statement

What is the escape speed of an electron launched from the surface of a 1.0-cm-diameter glass sphere that has been charged to 10nC?

Homework Equations

Given:
d= 1.0cm
r= 0.05cm= 0.0005m
q1 = 10nC = 10 x 10-9 (sphere)
q2 = -1.6 x 10-19 (electron)

Equation:
U = (kq1q2)/r
KE= ½mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if the sum of kinetic and potential energy is supposed to be zero, then I get:

KE + U = 0
½me(ve)2 + (kq1q2)/r = 0
½(9.11 x 10-31)(v)2 + ( (8.99 x 109) (10 x 10-9) (-1.6 x 10-19) ) / (0.0005) = 0

If I solve the above equation^^, I get ve= 2.5 x 108 m/s, which is incorrect. The correct answer is 8.0 x 107 m/s. I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly, any help is appreciated. Sorry about the mess, I can't seem to figure out how to use TeX!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is in the radius of the glass sphere Its 0.5cm=0.005m!

Likes mitchy16 and lekh2003
Delta² said:
Your mistake is in the radius of the glass sphere Its 0.5cm=0.005m!
Thank you, can't believe I didn't catch that. I re-did and got the correct answer!

1. What is electron escape speed?

Electron escape speed is the minimum amount of energy needed for an electron to overcome the attractive force of the nucleus and escape the influence of an atom.

2. How is electron escape speed calculated?

The electron escape speed can be calculated using the formula v = √(2E/m), where v is the electron escape speed, E is the energy of the electron, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. What factors affect electron escape speed?

The factors that affect electron escape speed include the energy of the electron, the mass of the electron, and the strength of the attractive force between the electron and the nucleus.

4. Why is electron escape speed important in understanding atomic structure?

Electron escape speed is important in understanding atomic structure because it helps us understand how electrons are held within an atom and how they can gain enough energy to break free from the atom.

5. How does temperature affect electron escape speed?

Temperature affects electron escape speed because as temperature increases, the average energy of the electrons in an atom also increases, making it easier for them to overcome the attractive force of the nucleus and escape.