Electron moving to the face of plate from depth d

In summary: Now imagine we connect the positive terminal of the battery to the top of the plate. We now have an electrical circuit between the battery and the plate. This circuit creates an imbalance in the number of electrons on the top and bottom of the plate. This imbalance causes an electrical current to flow between the battery and the plate. This current moves much faster than the individual electrons, approaching light speed maybe. So, the electrons move from a certain depth (determined by the thickness of the plate) to the face of the plate.
rtareen
Homework Statement
Attached is a pdf of the practice problem. They make it seem like the thickness L matters but I dont see it in anywhere in the calculations.
Relevant Equations
q = CV
I don't really understand the question. I don't understand the wording. We know the plate has a thickness L = 0.50cm. If the charge is coming from the battery wouldn't the electrons have to move the entire distance to reach the face of the plate? Because they have to move all the way from the battery terminal to the face. So the depth they have to move within the plate should be the entire thickness.

I know that a battery can only charge the plates until the capacitor has the same potential difference as the battery. So the charge q on the plate will be q = CV. And the number of electrons it can hold due to having the same potential difference is N = q/e.

I also understand how the number of electrons per unit volume is n = N/Ad.

What i don't undertand is what they mean when they say the electrons "move from a certain depth" to the face. And why they gave us the thickness L

Attachments

• Problem25.01.pdf
    148.9 KB · Views: 182
Physics news on Phys.org
rtareen said:
If the charge is coming from the battery wouldn't the electrons have to move the entire distance to reach the face of the plate?
No, that's a common misunderstanding. There is a vast sea of electrons in the wires and the uncharged plate, all locally neutralised by positive charges. When the switch is closed, some electrons get drawn into the battery on one side while an equal number are pushed out the other. But these individual electrons do not go all the way to the plate - they just push on the next electrons along the path. The resulting current moves much faster than the individual electrons, approaching light speed maybe.
It is almost certainly true that all the extra electrons that reach the surface of the plate were already in the plate at the start.

Likes BvU, rtareen, Steve4Physics and 1 other person
@haruspex already provided a nice answer while I was constructing my reply. So, my reply is redundant. But, it might help some.

When the battery is connected to the capacitor, electrons do not travel all the way from the negative terminal of the battery to the lower plate of the capacitor. The lower plate acquires a net negative charge by a very tiny shift in the positions of free electrons in the system.

Consider the lower plate of the capacitor and imagine for a moment that it is not connected to the battery. It is isolated from everything else. The plate contains a "sea" of free electrons overlapping with a background of positively charged ions so that any macroscopic region of the plate is neutral.

1600298205919.png

But imagine that somehow the sea of electrons shifts as a whole upwards by a small distance d relative to the background positive charge. Then you get a layer of negative charge at the top of the plate and a corresponding layer of positive charge at the bottom of the plate.

1600298364193.png

This is sort of what happens when the capacitor is connected to the battery. However, the layer of positive charge at the bottom of the plate is neutralized by electrons that move into the plate from the wire that is connected between the plate and the battery. These neutralizing electrons from the wire only need to move a very tiny distance from the wire to the plate. Overall, the charging of the lower plate is achieved by just a very tiny shift in the free electrons of the plate and connecting wire.

Likes BvU, rtareen and Steve4Physics
rtareen said:
Homework Statement:
They make it seem like the thickness L matters but I don't see it in anywhere in the calculations.
What i don't undertand is what they mean when they say the electrons "move from a certain depth" to the face. And why they gave us the thickness L

Hi. Tricky to explain but I’ll give it a go.

First, you are correct. The value of L is not used or needed.

It helps to visualise the conduction electrons (-) neatly arranged.

For an uncharged piece of copper we can visualise the electrons arranged like this (4 rows for illustration):
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - bottom
There are an equal number of +ve copper ions in fixed positios (not shown for clarity) so the metal is neutral.

When charged, the top surface has extra electrons so the arrangement of electrons is now like this:
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - -

How did the extra electrons on the top row get there? Well, we can consider the change from uncharged to charged occurred in stages.

Stage 1: the battery pushed extra electrons into the bottom row:
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - -
------------------ bottom

Stage 2: some electrons in bottom row shuffled up a row:
- - - - - - - - - - -
------------------

Stage 3: another shuffle up a row:
------------------
- - - - - - - - - - -

Stage 4: final shuffle: electrons from next-to-top row shuffled up to top row:
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - -

It is this last stage the question as asking about. We are simply calculating the distance between our (visualised) rows, d. This is the distance from which some extra electonrs have been pushed into the top row.

Note the value of ‘L’ corresponds to the number of rows and makes no difference to d.

This is of course a gross oversimplication, because conduction electrons are moving around randomly inside the metal (like particles in a gas). But it's a simple way to think about what's happening for the purposes of answering the question.

Likes rtareen
Thank you everybody. Things make more sense now. i appreciate each and every reply.

1. How does an electron move to the face of a plate from a depth d?

The movement of an electron to the face of a plate from a depth d is a result of the electric field created by the plate. The electric field exerts a force on the electron, causing it to move towards the plate. This movement is known as electron drift.

2. What is the depth d in the context of an electron moving to the face of a plate?

The depth d refers to the distance between the electron and the face of the plate. It is an important factor in determining the strength of the electric field and the resulting movement of the electron.

3. What factors affect the movement of an electron to the face of a plate?

The movement of an electron to the face of a plate is affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the distance between the electron and the plate, and the charge of the electron. Other factors such as temperature and the material of the plate may also play a role.

4. Can the movement of an electron to the face of a plate be controlled?

Yes, the movement of an electron to the face of a plate can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric field or the distance between the electron and the plate. This is the basis for many electronic devices such as capacitors and transistors.

5. What is the significance of an electron moving to the face of a plate from depth d?

The movement of an electron to the face of a plate from depth d is an important process in understanding the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with charged particles. It is also crucial in the functioning of electronic devices and technologies that rely on the manipulation of electric fields.