Electron-positron annihilation diagram

In summary: If you put ##k \rightarrow k_1, \,\,\ q \rightarrow p_2\,\,\,\ q' \rightarrow p_1## then you get agreement between the two formulas for the unpolarised transition probability. The middle condition here I don't understand.
CAF123
Gold Member
Just a quick question regarding the tree level Feynman diagram(s) contributing to this process - I am wondering if I wanted to compute the unpolarised transition amplitude for the annihilation ##e^+ e^- \rightarrow \gamma \gamma##, are there two tree level diagrams that contribute or just one?

I am thinking of an electron and positron as initial state, an electron/positron being the virtual particle and the two photons as the external state. (e.g photon a) tagged at vertex with the electron b) and another photon c) tagged at vertex with positron d)) That's one diagram. But I also thought, to take into account the bose symmetry, I would also need to consider an another diagram where photon a) is tagged at vertex with positron d) and another where photon c) is tagged at vertex with electron b)?

Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
220px-Feynman_EP_Annihilation.svg.png

... what was the question?

Hi SimonBridge,

I have drawn what I think are the two contributing tree level processes for ##e^+ e^- \rightarrow 2\gamma##. I want to understand why we don't consider the ##t-## channel diagram on the left to be different from the ##u## channel diagram on the right.

Thanks!

Attachments

• diphoton.png
    diphoton.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 4,004
CAF123 said:
I want to understand why we don't consider the t− channel diagram on the left to be different from the u channel diagram on the right.

Who is doing this? I think you indeed have to consider both diagrams. But this is not exclusive to bosons, you would also get two diagrams of this kind with outgoing (indistinguishable) fermions.

Likes CAF123
Of course, in the leading (tree-level) order there are the two diagrams you draw, and that's indeed important to fulfill Bose symmetry for the outgoing photons. The diagrams are ##t##- and ##u##-channel diagrams.

Likes CAF123 and BvU
Ok, many thanks for the confirmation - it is as I thought. So, if I was computing the (unpolarised) transition amplitude for this process I would sum the amplitudes for each of the t and u channel processes? Then a probability would be the square of this:

$$P(e^+ e^- \rightarrow 2 \gamma) = \frac{1}{4} \sum_{\text{spins,polarisations}} |\mathcal M_1+ \mathcal M_2|^2$$

Ok thanks, I am aware of a crossing symmetry that exists between the unpolarised transition probability for compton scattering ##(e^- + \gamma \rightarrow e^- + \gamma)## and that for the case of diphoton production. We did compton scattering in the lecture and I put the notation we used for the process in an attachment, together with the case at hand in another notation.

It seems that by putting ##k \rightarrow k_1, \,\,\ q \rightarrow p_2\,\,\,\ q' \rightarrow p_1## I can get agreement between the two formulas for the unpolarised transition probability. The middle condition here I don't understand. Even though the photon with momentum q is in the initial state in compton scattering is it simply ok to put it to a photon of momentum ##p_2## in the final state of diphoton production?
Thanks!

Attachments

• diphoton1.png
    diphoton1.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 596

What is an electron-positron annihilation diagram?

An electron-positron annihilation diagram is a visual representation of the process in which an electron and a positron (its antimatter counterpart) collide and annihilate each other, resulting in the creation of two photons. This process is described by the laws of quantum electrodynamics and is one of the fundamental interactions in particle physics.

How does an electron-positron annihilation diagram work?

The diagram shows the interaction between the electron and positron at the quantum level. It illustrates the exchange of virtual photons between the particles, which causes them to attract and eventually collide. The collision results in the release of energy in the form of two real photons.

What is the significance of the electron-positron annihilation diagram?

The diagram is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental interactions between particles at the subatomic level. It also provides evidence for the conservation of energy and momentum in particle interactions, as the total energy and momentum before and after the annihilation must be equal.

Where is the electron-positron annihilation diagram used?

The diagram is used in particle physics research to study the properties of particles and their interactions. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans, where positrons are emitted from the body and annihilate with electrons in the detector, producing gamma rays that can be detected and used to create images.

What are the potential applications of the electron-positron annihilation diagram?

The diagram has potential applications in the development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques. It also has implications for understanding the early universe, as the annihilation of electron-positron pairs is thought to have occurred frequently in the early stages of the universe's formation.