Electron-Proton Atoms in a Unique Universe: Could They Exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an alternate universe where electrons and protons have opposite charges and the implications this would have on the existence of atoms. There is a mention of antihydrogen, which is a rare example of an atom with a negatively charged proton and a positively charged electron. The conversation also delves into the arbitrariness of assigning negative charge to electrons and positive charge to protons and whether this could have any impact on the fundamental principles of physics.
motleycat
1. Imagine a universe where electrons and protons have positive and negative electric charges, respectively. Could an atom consisting of one electron and one proton exist in this universe?2. None.3. My first thought was that such an universe already exists (ours) since an atom with a negatively charged proton and a positively charged electron is antihydrogen, which does exist but is very rare.
However, my prof also wrote me the following:

Think about whether a positive electron and a negative proton can form an
atom in this different universe. Question does not mention anything about
antimatter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi motley,

What would change in the physics ?

Another inroad: what if we had used the name positive for the charge of an electron and negative for the charge of a proton ?

How do we know at all that an electron has negative charge and not positive ?

Likes motleycat
BvU said:
Hi motley,

What would change in the physics ?

Another inroad: what if we had used the name positive for the charge of an electron and negative for the charge of a proton ?

How do we know at all that an electron has negative charge and not positive ?

Hi BvU!
Thank you for your answer.
I'm inclined to say, that the fact that an electron is charged negatively and a proton positively is pretty arbitrary and that the physics wouldn't change if I swap their values.

I'm inclined to agree.
Physics needs an attractive Coulomb force and that is conserved under this swap of charge.

Don't even smell a rat here. Hope I'm not too naïve. But if we're wrong, I'd sure like to be put right !

Likes motleycat
BvU said:
I'm inclined to agree.
Physics needs an attractive Coulomb force and that is conserved under this swap of charge.

Don't even smell a rat here. Hope I'm not too naïve. But if we're wrong, I'd sure like to be put right !

Thank you very much! I will let you know once my homework's marked.

Oh btw. Electrons being negatively charged is just something that's been decided, right?

Exactly. They needed something to distinguish one from the other.

1. What are electron-proton atoms?

Electron-proton atoms are hypothetical particles that consist of an electron and a proton, with no neutrons. They are thought to exist in a different universe with unique physical laws.

2. How could electron-proton atoms exist?

It is theorized that in a universe with different physical laws, the electromagnetic force between an electron and a proton could be strong enough to hold them together as an atom, without the need for the strong nuclear force that binds protons and neutrons in our universe.

3. What are the implications of the existence of electron-proton atoms?

If electron-proton atoms were to exist, it would challenge our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It could also have implications for the search for other habitable planets and the possibility of life in other universes.

4. Is there any evidence for the existence of electron-proton atoms?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of electron-proton atoms. However, some theories and models predict their existence, and the search for them is ongoing.

5. Why is the study of electron-proton atoms important?

Studying electron-proton atoms could provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe. It could also expand our understanding of the possibilities for life in other universes and open up new avenues for scientific exploration.