Electron Single Slit Diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the width of the electron diffraction pattern on a detector 1 m behind a 10-6m wide slit, with electrons traveling at 1.5 x 106m/s. The equations for matter waves and path length difference for constructive interference are mentioned, and it is determined that the equations for single slit diffraction with light waves can be applied to electrons. The equation for single slit diffraction is mentioned, and clarification is given on which m value should be used in the calculation.
hy23

Homework Statement

Electrons pass through a 10-6m wide slit with a speed of 1.5 x 106m/s. How wide is the electron diffraction pattern on a detector 1 m behind the slit.

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=h/mv (matter waves)
asin[tex]\theta[/tex]=m[tex]\lambda[/tex] (path length difference for constructive interference)
y=Ltan[tex]\theta[/tex] (location of bright fringes)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the wavelength of the electrons using De Broglie's equation. This I'm pretty sure is correct. What I'm not sure about is how electrons diffract in a single slit. i don't know if the formulas for the single slit diffraction of light waves will work for electrons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diffraction is a wave phenomenon. It doesn't matter what kind of wave, so the equations you had for diffraction with light will work. The equation you have above, however, is for double-slit interference.

what??/ really? my book says that's the equation for single slit...in double slit it is different in that they use the small angle approximation

what is the formula for single slit then

and the other thing i was wondering about is that won't there be a LOT of bright bringes and thus the diffraction pattern can extend really far so how would we know which m value to use?

I also don't know how to find the angle theta for the electrons as they don't have a frequency or wavelength.

I can understand your confusion about applying the formulas for single slit diffraction of light waves to electrons. However, it is important to note that electrons also exhibit wave-like behavior, known as matter waves. Therefore, the same principles of diffraction and interference that apply to light waves can also be applied to electrons.

To find the width of the diffraction pattern on the detector, we can use the formula for the location of bright fringes, y = Ltanθ. In this case, the distance L is 1 m and we need to find the value of θ. To do so, we can use the formula asinθ = mλ, where m is the order of the bright fringe and λ is the wavelength of the electrons.

We have already calculated the value of λ using De Broglie's equation, which is correct. Now, we need to determine the value of θ for the first order bright fringe, which is m=1. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation asinθ = mλ to solve for θ.

θ = asin(mλ) = asin(1*λ) = asin(1*6.63x10^-34/1.5x10^6) = 2.82x10^-8 radians.

Now, we can plug in this value of θ into the formula for the location of bright fringes, y = Ltanθ, to find the width of the diffraction pattern on the detector.

y = (1m) * tan(2.82x10^-8 radians) = 2.82x10^-8 m

Therefore, the width of the electron diffraction pattern on the detector will be approximately 2.82x10^-8 m.

Related to Electron Single Slit Diffraction

1. What is electron single slit diffraction?

Electron single slit diffraction is a phenomenon in which a beam of electrons passing through a narrow slit produces a diffraction pattern on a screen. This is similar to the phenomenon of light diffraction, where a beam of light passing through a narrow slit produces a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

2. How is electron single slit diffraction different from light diffraction?

Electron single slit diffraction differs from light diffraction in several ways. Firstly, electrons have a much smaller wavelength than visible light, so the diffraction patterns they produce have much smaller fringes. Additionally, electrons can be diffracted by much smaller slits, making it possible to observe single slit diffraction with nanometer-sized slits. Finally, unlike light, electron diffraction is affected by the electric charge of the electrons and can be manipulated by applying an electric field.

3. What is the significance of electron single slit diffraction?

Electron single slit diffraction is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-like nature of particles, specifically the wave-particle duality of electrons. This phenomenon also has practical applications in microscopy and nanotechnology, where it is used to study and manipulate materials on a nanoscale.

4. What factors affect the diffraction pattern in electron single slit diffraction?

The diffraction pattern in electron single slit diffraction is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the electrons, the size of the slit, the distance between the slit and the screen, and any external electric or magnetic fields. These factors can be manipulated to control the diffraction pattern and study the properties of the electrons.

5. How is electron single slit diffraction used in real-world applications?

Electron single slit diffraction is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as electron microscopy, which uses the diffraction patterns to create images of tiny structures with high resolution. It is also used in the development of nanotechnology, where it is used to study and manipulate materials on a nanoscale. Additionally, single slit diffraction is used in the field of quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.