Electron to Stationary Proton Collision

In summary, the homework problem is asking to calculate the invariant mass of an electron-proton pair in the Center of Mass frame, with the given information of a 2 GeV electron incident on a stationary proton. The relevant equations are M = [P1 + P2)][/2] and M = gamma([m][/0]), but the attempt at a solution using the second equation did not seem correct. After further consideration, the correct approach is to use the equation m^2=E^2-p^2, but the next steps are unclear.
PatrickStar

Homework Statement

A 2 GeV electron is incident on proton (m_p * C^2 = 0.938 GeV) target at rest. Calculate the invariant mass of the electron-proton pair in the Center of Mass(CM) frame. Neglect the mass of electron which is much less than the proton mass.

Homework Equations

M = [P1 + P2)][/2]
M = gamma([m][/0])

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to calculate the mass through the second equation in relevant equations but I don't think that was correct. Because it went like this:

M = ([m][/0])/sqrt(1-(([v][/2])/[c][/2]) but I don't think that is necessarily the right step forward.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
PatrickStar said:

Homework Statement

A 2 GeV electron is incident on proton (m_p * C^2 = 0.938 GeV) target at rest. Calculate the invariant mass of the electron-proton pair in the Center of Mass(CM) frame. Neglect the mass of electron which is much less than the proton mass.

Homework Equations

M = [P1 + P2)][/2]
M = gamma([m][/0])

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to calculate the mass through the second equation in relevant equations but I don't think that was correct. Because it went like this:

M = ([m][/0])/sqrt(1-(([v][/2])/[c][/2]) but I don't think that is necessarily the right step forward.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Can you elaborate on your attempt? I don't see what it has to do with any of the information given in the problem.

vela said:
Can you elaborate on your attempt? I don't see what it has to do with any of the information given in the problem.
Since posting this question I have realized that I must use the equation m^2=E^2-p^2 but I'm not really sure how to progress through the problem.

1. What is an Electron to Stationary Proton Collision?

An Electron to Stationary Proton Collision is a type of particle collision that involves an electron colliding with a stationary proton. This collision can occur in various environments, such as in particle accelerators or in outer space.

2. What happens during an Electron to Stationary Proton Collision?

During the collision, the electron and proton interact through the electromagnetic force. The electron can either scatter off the proton or can be absorbed by the proton, resulting in the creation of a neutron and a neutrino.

3. What is the significance of Electron to Stationary Proton Collisions?

Electron to Stationary Proton Collisions are significant because they allow scientists to study the properties of subatomic particles and the fundamental forces that govern their interactions. These collisions also play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.

4. How are Electron to Stationary Proton Collisions studied?

Scientists study Electron to Stationary Proton Collisions using various particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). These accelerators accelerate particles to high energies and then collide them to observe the resulting particles and their properties.

5. What are some potential applications of Electron to Stationary Proton Collisions?

Electron to Stationary Proton Collisions have potential applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. By understanding the particles and forces involved in these collisions, scientists can also develop new technologies and improve existing ones.