Calculate the particle energy in a collision

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with E'.I think you are still having problems with the definitions of the variables.The lab frame is the frame where the incoming protons have the 4-momenta I gave earlier.The CoM frame is the frame where the incoming protons have equal and opposite 3-momenta.In summary, the particle J/Ψ can be produced in both proton-proton collisions and electron-positron collisions. The minimum energy required to produce the output particles (p + p + J/Ψ) in a proton-proton collision is determined by the conservation of energy and momentum, with the output particles remaining fixed in the target while the
cnet

Homework Statement

The particle J/Ψ can be produced in both proton-proton collisions and electron-positron collisions.
a) Consider a proton beam incident upon a fixed hydrogen target. Calculate the energy of the proton beam in the reaction
p1 + p2 → p + p + J/Ψ

b) Consider two counter propagating beams of electrons and positrons respectively. The two beams have identical energy. Calculate the value of the electron energy in the reaction
e+ + e− → J/Ψ

2. Equations:
(a)
E + mc2 = 2E' + EJ
P = 2P' + PJ
(Proton energy before and after are denoted as E and E')
(b)
2Ee = mJc2
Pe+ + Pe- = 0

3. Attempt:

I applied the law of energy and momentum conservation.
(a) I tend to use E'2 = (p'c)2 + (mc2)2 to get E in terms of P and PJ, but then I would have problem as I don't know about PJ.
(b) The positron and electron have equal and opposite momenta so the meson must only have rest mass energy mJc2. So, I can try to solve for Ee.

Can anyone please tell if my approach is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), what can you say about the relative motion of the produced particles at the minimal energy? Higher energies can lead to the same process, but I guess the question asks about the minimal energy.

(b): Right (and that "solving or Ee" is very easy).

mfb said:
For (a), what can you say about the relative motion of the produced particles at the minimal energy? Higher energies can lead to the same process, but I guess the question asks about the minimal energy.

(b): Right (and that "solving or Ee" is very easy).

For (a), I think the question asks the minimum energy required to produce those output particles (p + p + J/Ψ).

For (b), yes, Ee is just the rest mass energy of the meson divided by 2.

cnet said:
For (a), I think the question asks the minimum energy required to produce those output particles (p + p + J/Ψ).
Yes, that is the typical question.
What do you know about the relative motion of the particles at this energy?

mfb said:
Yes, that is the typical question.
What do you know about the relative motion of the particles at this energy?

They share the momentum of the particles at the initial state, I think? By the conservation of 4 momentum:

P1 + P2 = ΣNi=1Pi

In this case, the initial state is a laboratory system, one of the protons (target) has zero momentum.

Would it be easier to solve it with 4-momenta?

So, if P1 is the incoming proton, it has the 4-momentum P1 = (E/c,p), and
P2 is the target, its 4-momentum is P2 = (mc,0), and the output particles have 4-momenta 2(E'/c,p') and (E'J/c,p') for the two output protons and the J/psi meson respectively.

cnet said:
They share the momentum of the particles at the initial state, I think? By the conservation of 4 momentum:

P1 + P2 = ΣNi=1Pi

In this case, the initial state is a laboratory system, one of the protons (target) has zero momentum.
That is correct, but not what I asked.
Would it be easier to solve it with 4-momenta?
That is very similar.

Let's ask differently: Do you expect the three particles to fly apart at high speed relative to each other after the collision? If yes, why, if not, why not?

mfb said:
That is correct, but not what I asked.
That is very similar.

Let's ask differently: Do you expect the three particles to fly apart at high speed relative to each other after the collision? If yes, why, if not, why not?

No, it's a laboratory system. After the collision, the two output protons remain fixed in the target while the J/psi meson gets emitted.

From #7:

I now have:

upload_2017-8-2_18-1-10.png

That give two equations:
E/c + mpc = 2mpc + EJ/c
P = PJ

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-2_17-59-20.png
    upload_2017-8-2_17-59-20.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 513
cnet said:
After the collision, the two output protons remain fixed in the target while the J/psi meson gets emitted.
That's not what will happen.

mfb said:
That's not what will happen.

After collision, it's more suitable to use the CoM system, in which the two colliding protons will have equal and opposite momentum, resulting zero momentum. And by conservation of momentum, the only particle which has a momentum is the J/psi meson and its momentum is the same as that of the incoming proton at the initial state.

The other possibility is that these three output particles will have the same momentum P'=1/3*P.

In the center of mass system, what is the minimal energy you can have? This translates to the minimal energy in every frame.
All three particles are at rest in the CoM system.
What does that mean for the relative velocity of the particles?

mfb said:
In the center of mass system, what is the minimal energy you can have? This translates to the minimal energy in every frame.
All three particles are at rest in the CoM system.
What does that mean for the relative velocity of the particles?

Rest mass energy. (But the law of momentum conservation should still apply, otherwise, all three particles would have zero momentum, and hence zero velocity.)

They have zero velocity in the center of mass frame.
In the lab frame they all have the same velocity.

That is the missing equation you need to solve the system.

mfb said:

I will try to get that equation when I get to a nearby library in the next half hour or so.

Nevertheless, I think the initial states I got for the particles are correct. It's only that in the center of mass frame (final states) their total momentum should be zero.

mfb said:

E/c + (m_p)c = E'/c + E'/c +(E_j)/c

Use E' = [(p'c)^2 + (m_p)^2c^4]^1/2

Take p'=0

And solve for E.

cnet said:
Take p'=0
That is not correct.
Your first equation for conservation of energy was in the lab frame. In the the lab frame, p' won't be zero.

You can either work in the lab frame or in the CoM frame, but keep it consistent. The latter is a bit shorter but both are possible.

mfb said:
That is not correct.
Your first equation for conservation of energy was in the lab frame. In the the lab frame, p' won't be zero.

You can either work in the lab frame or in the CoM frame, but keep it consistent. The latter is a bit shorter but both are possible.

If I work in the lab frame:
E/c + (m_p)c = E'/c + E'/c +(E_j)/c

p = p' + p' + p_j = 2(m_p)v + (m_j)v

as the output particles all have the same velocity.

You should use the relativistic momentum. Apart from that: right.

mfb said:
You should use the relativistic momentum. Apart from that: right.

But I cannot solve for the proton energy E.

E2 = (pc)2 + (mpc2)2

p = ϒ(2mpv + mjv)

Substitute for p, I have:

E2 = ϒ2v2c2(4mp2 + 4mpmj + mj2) + mp2c4

Because ϒ2 = c2/(c2-v2)

E2 = [v2c4/(c2-v2)]*(4mp2 + 4mpmj + mj2) + mp2c4

It still left me with the ‘v’ which I can't get rid of.

cnet said:
E2 = (pc)2 + (mpc2)2
That is the energy of the incoming proton I guess? It is not the total energy.

You didn't consider the total energy after the collision in your last post.

mfb said:
That is the energy of the incoming proton I guess? It is not the total energy.

You didn't consider the total energy after the collision in your last post.

I used that because the question asks for the energy of the incoming proton. Or, I have to equate the total energy before and after collision. Get p in terms of all particle masses and put it back to the equation for the energy E of the incoming proton.

You'll have to use conservation of energy to find the answer.

1. What is the formula for calculating particle energy in a collision?

The formula for calculating particle energy in a collision is E = 1/2mv², where E is the energy, m is the mass of the particle and v is the velocity of the particle.

2. How do I determine the mass and velocity of the particles involved in the collision?

The mass and velocity of the particles can be determined through experiments or by using data from previous experiments. Alternatively, if the particles are known, their mass and velocity can be looked up in reliable sources.

3. Can the energy of the particles change during the collision?

Yes, the energy of the particles can change during a collision. Some of the energy may be converted into different forms such as heat or sound, and some may be lost due to friction.

4. Is there a difference in calculating particle energy for elastic and inelastic collisions?

Yes, there is a difference in calculating particle energy for elastic and inelastic collisions. In elastic collisions, energy is conserved, so the total energy before and after the collision is the same. In inelastic collisions, some energy is lost, so the total energy after the collision is less than the total energy before the collision.

5. How can calculating particle energy be useful in scientific research?

Calculating particle energy in collisions can be useful in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. It can also help in predicting the outcome of collisions and in designing experiments. Additionally, it can provide insight into the fundamental principles of energy conservation and conversion.