Electron tunneling barrier in DFT

In summary, the effective potential in DFT is composed of several terms, and it is not necessary for it to go above the Fermi level for tunneling to occur. It is important to consider the total effective potential, but examining individual terms, such as the electrostatic potential, can also provide valuable insights. Always critically analyze your results and consider all contributing factors for accurate interpretation.
Mancho
Hello all,

I'm getting confusing about what to consider as a barrier for electron tunneling in DFT. What I'm doing is looking at the xy plane averaged effective potential, i.e. the potential that electrons feel. This potential in PAW formalism is composed of three terms: VHartree+Vxc+Vbar, where VHartree is the electrostatic potential, Vxc-exchange correlation, Vbar - unphysical correction. My system is periodic in xy and non-periodic in z. As I understand, if there is a barrier, effective potential should go a bit over the Fermi level. I don't see this in my case. What I encounter in some papers is that they look at only electrostatic(Hartree) contribution. If I plot only electrostatic potential + Vbar correction then there is some portion of plot above Fermi level.

So, which one can be considered as a tunneling barrier, total effective potential or only electrostatic?

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding the consideration of barriers for electron tunneling in DFT. In DFT, the effective potential can be composed of several terms, as you mentioned: VHartree, Vxc, and Vbar. It is important to note that the effective potential is not a physical quantity, but rather a mathematical construct used to describe the behavior of electrons in a system. Therefore, it is not necessary for the effective potential to go above the Fermi level in order for tunneling to occur.

In terms of identifying a barrier for tunneling, it is important to consider the total effective potential, as it includes all contributing terms. However, it is also useful to examine individual terms, such as the electrostatic potential, in order to gain a better understanding of the overall behavior of electrons in the system. In some cases, the electrostatic potential alone may be a good indicator of a barrier for tunneling, but it is always best to consider the total effective potential to get a more complete picture.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. As scientists, it is important to always critically analyze our results and consider all contributing factors in order to accurately interpret our data. Best of luck in your research.

1. What is electron tunneling barrier in DFT?

The electron tunneling barrier in DFT (Density Functional Theory) refers to the energy barrier that electrons must overcome when transferring between two materials or structures. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in various applications such as nanoelectronics and quantum computing.

2. How is the electron tunneling barrier calculated in DFT?

The electron tunneling barrier in DFT is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation with the help of a numerical method known as the density functional theory. This method takes into account the electronic structure and interactions of the materials involved to accurately predict the tunneling barrier energy.

3. What factors influence the electron tunneling barrier in DFT?

The electron tunneling barrier in DFT is influenced by several factors such as the distance between the two materials, the electronic properties of the materials, and the applied voltage. Additionally, the presence of defects or impurities can also affect the tunneling barrier energy.

4. How does the electron tunneling barrier impact device performance?

The electron tunneling barrier has a significant impact on the performance of electronic devices. It determines the efficiency of electron transport between different materials, which affects the device's speed, power consumption, and reliability. A lower tunneling barrier is desirable for better device performance.

5. Can the electron tunneling barrier be manipulated in DFT?

Yes, the electron tunneling barrier can be manipulated in DFT by altering the material properties or by applying an external electric field. By adjusting these parameters, the electron tunneling barrier can be reduced or increased, allowing for better control and optimization of device performance.