Electronic gradient of Schroedinger Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-independent Schroedinger equation for a molecule and the components of the unperturbed Hamiltonian within the Born-Oppenheimer approximation. The question is whether the gradient of the electronic kinetic energy operator with respect to the coordinate of electron i is equal to zero. The answer is yes, but it is important to note that the KE operator still operates on the derivative of the wavefunction. The reason for this is that the derivative and the kinetic energy operator commute.
ani4physics
Hi all. I have a question that I am thinking about for a couple of days. Let's consider the time-independent Schroedinger equation for a molecule:

H0 [psi> = E0 [psi>

Now, we know that the unperturbed Hamiltonian consist of electronic kinetic energy operator, electron-electron repulsion operator, electron-nuclear attraction operator, and nuclear-nuclear repulsion operator (Within the Born-Oppenheimer approximation).

If we differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the coordinate of electron i, then we we need to consider only the gradients of electronic kinetic energy operator, electron-electron repulsion operator, electron-nuclear attraction operator, and the wave function.

My question is: Is the gradient of the electronic KE operator with respect to coordinate of electron i = 0?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is, but note that you don't get rid of the KE operator as the KE still works on the derivative of the wavefunction.

DrDu said:
Yes, it is, but note that you don't get rid of the KE operator as the KE still works on the derivative of the wavefunction.

Thanks a ton. Yes I understand that the KE operator still operates on the electronic gradient of the wavefunction. could you please give me a brief idea of how the gradient of KE operator with respect to electronic coordinate is zero. Thanks again.

Well, don't misunderstand me. I just meant that the derivative and the kinetic energy operator commute. You may take this to mean that the derivative of the KE operator vanishes.

1. What is the Electronic Gradient of Schroedinger Equation?

The Electronic Gradient of Schroedinger Equation is a mathematical expression used in quantum mechanics to describe the motion of electrons in a system. It is an extension of the Schroedinger Equation, which describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. The Electronic Gradient takes into account the movement of electrons in response to changes in the electric field.

2. How is the Electronic Gradient of Schroedinger Equation derived?

The Electronic Gradient is derived from the standard Schroedinger Equation by incorporating the concept of electric potential into the equation. This allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of electrons in a system, taking into account the effect of electric fields on their movement.

3. What is the significance of the Electronic Gradient of Schroedinger Equation?

The Electronic Gradient is significant because it allows for a more precise understanding of the behavior of electrons in a system. It is particularly useful in studying electronic properties of materials, such as their conductivity and energy levels, and is essential in the design and analysis of electronic devices.

4. How is the Electronic Gradient of Schroedinger Equation used in practical applications?

The Electronic Gradient is used in various practical applications, including the development of new electronic devices and materials. It is also used in quantum chemistry to study the electronic structure and properties of molecules. Additionally, it is utilized in the simulation and design of electronic circuits and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Electronic Gradient of Schroedinger Equation?

Like any mathematical model, the Electronic Gradient of Schroedinger Equation has limitations in its applicability. It is most accurate for systems with a small number of electrons and does not take into account the effects of relativity. Additionally, it is based on certain assumptions about the behavior of electrons and may not accurately describe all systems.