Electronic transition; Emission Spectra

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial energy level (ni) of a hydrogen atom based on the wavelength of a photon emitted during an electronic transition. This is done using the equation Energy = hc/wavelength and Rydberg's constant formula. The person is wondering how to find the initial energy level when only the final energy level is given, suggesting an iterative search or a computer program may be needed.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A photon emitted during an electronic transition in a hydrogen atom has a wavelength of 486.2
nm. From what initial energy level (ni) did the electron transition?

Homework Equations

Energy = hc/wavelength (h = Planck's constant; c is speed of light; and wavelength is 486.2 nm or 486.2 x 10^-9 meters).

Energy = Rydberg's constant(1/n-final^2 - 1/n-initial^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the energy but I I can't solve for two variables at once in one equation. How am I supposed to find the initial energy level when I have the final energy level?

Physics news on Phys.org
An iterative search would soon find the levels ... a small computer program!

1. What is an electronic transition?

An electronic transition is the movement of an electron from one energy level to another within an atom or molecule. This can occur when the atom or molecule absorbs or emits energy.

2. What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a spectrum of light emitted by a substance when it is excited by energy, such as heat or electricity. It consists of a series of bright lines or bands that are characteristic of the substance and can be used to identify it.

3. What causes electronic transitions to occur?

Electronic transitions occur when an atom or molecule absorbs or emits energy. This energy can come from various sources such as heat, light, or electricity.

4. How is an emission spectrum used in scientific research?

Emission spectra are used in scientific research to identify and analyze the chemical composition of substances. The unique patterns of lines or bands in an emission spectrum can be used to identify the elements or compounds present in a sample.

5. Can electronic transitions be seen with the naked eye?

No, electronic transitions cannot be seen with the naked eye as they occur at the atomic or molecular level. However, their effects can be observed through the emission of light or absorption of light by the substance.