Electrons, Ionic Bonds: Hello Physics Forum - Q&A

In summary: Keep in mind that "covalent" and "ionic" are not black and white. Rather, there is a wide spectrum of gray between the extremes. H2 is completely symmetric, so one might call it perfectly covalent. H2O (water) for example is still covalent, but the electrons are much more on the oxygen than on the hydrogen.When you start to go from simple molecules to extended crystals, such as metals you start to get delocalization effects and the formation of continuous bands rather than discrete energy levels. Even there you can find more or less localized examples, such as NaCl (rock salt), which to good approximation is formed from ions, and in-betweens such as
JessyArtman
Hello Physics Forum, I have a quick question for the scientific community that I am unable to find online (likely because the term doesn't exist), but is there are term for the act of an electron moving from one orbit into another when binding two elements? Also I have a very minimal understanding of Chemistry, Physics, and Quantum Mechanics. What are some sources that I may find valuable in my search for further information in these fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
The semi-classical picture of an electron whizzing in a figure-8 shape around nuclei in a molecule is wrong.
What happens in a molecule like H2 is that the molecule has shared, molecule-wide wave functions. A search term that might help you is "(orbital) hybridization".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_hybridisation

Thank you M Quack! I appreciate your timely response I think this is the term I was looking for.

Likes M Quack
M Quack said:
in a molecule like H2 is that the molecule has shared, molecule-wide wave functions.
That kind of bonding is often referred to as Covalent bonding. There are also bonds that are classified as Ionic and, using the same wave function description, I guess you could say that the valency electron wave function, rather than being spread around both atoms, becomes localised with the non metal atom and leaves the metal atom, forming two ions (approximately?).
In so called metallic bonding, the wave functions of the valence electrons occupy a region around many adjacent atoms. The electrons can be found anywhere in the metal.
As usual, it is risky to get too hung up on what to call things because there are situations which are less easy to classify in these simplistic ways. At least the wave function description is nice and 'fuzzy' which warns us to be careful with classification. The mechanical properties of solids reflects the kind of bonding involved.

sophiecentaur said:
That kind of bonding is often referred to as Covalent bonding. There are also bonds that are classified as Ionic and, using the same wave function description, I guess you could say that the valency electron wave function, rather than being spread around both atoms, becomes localised with the non metal atom and leaves the metal atom, forming two ions (approximately?).
In so called metallic bonding, the wave functions of the valence electrons occupy a region around many adjacent atoms. The electrons can be found anywhere in the metal.
As usual, it is risky to get too hung up on what to call things because there are situations which are less easy to classify in these simplistic ways. At least the wave function description is nice and 'fuzzy' which warns us to be careful with classification. The mechanical properties of solids reflects the kind of bonding involved.

Keep in mind that "covalent" and "ionic" are not black and white. Rather, there is a wide spectrum of gray between the extremes. H2 is completely symmetric, so one might call it perfectly covalent. H2O (water) for example is still covalent, but the electrons are much more on the oxygen than on the hydrogen.
When you start to go from simple molecules to extended crystals, such as metals you start to get delocalization effects and the formation of continuous bands rather than discrete energy levels. Even there you can find more or less localized examples, such as NaCl (rock salt), which to good approximation is formed from ions, and in-betweens such as GaAs (III-V semiconductors) or even more so CdTe (II-VI semiconductors) which can be seen as part ionic part covalent.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge. They are found in the electron cloud surrounding an atom's nucleus and play a crucial role in chemical reactions and electricity.

2. How do atoms form ionic bonds?

Ionic bonds are formed when one atom transfers one or more electrons to another atom. This creates positive and negative ions, which are then attracted to each other, forming a bond.

3. What is the difference between covalent and ionic bonds?

In covalent bonds, atoms share electrons to form a bond, while in ionic bonds, electrons are transferred from one atom to another. Covalent bonds are typically stronger than ionic bonds and involve nonmetal elements, while ionic bonds involve a metal and a nonmetal.

4. How do ionic bonds affect the properties of compounds?

Ionic bonds result in the formation of compounds with specific properties. These compounds are often solid, have high melting and boiling points, and are able to conduct electricity when dissolved in water. The properties of the compound are determined by the strength of the ionic bonds present.

5. Can ionic bonds be broken?

Yes, ionic bonds can be broken through physical or chemical processes. For example, heating a compound can cause the ions to gain enough energy to break the bond and form separate atoms. Similarly, chemical reactions can also break ionic bonds and form new compounds.