Electron's magnetic moment

In summary, Peskin and Schroeder discuss the connection between the electron form factors and its magnetic moment on page 187 of their book. They derive an expression involving the momenta of on-shell electrons and the momentum transfer, and note that it vanishes when the momentum transfer goes to zero. This is due to the Dirac equation, which becomes simplified in this limit and results in the expression becoming zero.
Gaussian97
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Show that ##\bar{u}(p')\left(\gamma^i F_1(q^2)+\frac{i \sigma^{i\nu}q_\nu}{2m}F_2(q^2)\right)u(p)=0## for ##\vec{q}=0##
Is Peskin and Schroeder book, page 187 when they try to connect the electron form factors to its magnetic moment they get the expression
$$\bar{u}(p')\left(\gamma^i F_1(q^2)+\frac{i \sigma^{i\nu}q_\nu}{2m}F_2(q^2)\right)u(p)$$
Where ##p##, ##p'## are the momenta on on-shell electrons and ##q=p'-p##.
And they say that this vanishes at ##\vec{q}=0##.

I see that, because ##p,p'## are on-shell ##\vec{q}=0 \Longrightarrow q^0=0## so in this limit the expression is
$$\bar{u}(p')\gamma^i u(p)$$
Because ##F_1(0)=1##. But I can't see why this must be zero.

Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org

The reason why this expression must be zero at ##\vec{q}=0## is because of the Dirac equation, which is given by:
$$\left(\gamma^\mu p_\mu - m\right)u(p)=0,$$
where ##\gamma^\mu## are the Dirac matrices, ##p_\mu## is the four-momentum, and ##m## is the mass of the electron. When we take the limit of ##\vec{q}=0##, we are essentially taking the limit where the momentum transfer ##q## goes to zero, which means that the final state electron and the initial state electron have the same four-momentum. In this case, the Dirac equation becomes:
$$\left(\gamma^\mu p_\mu - m\right)u(p)=\left(\gamma^\mu p'_\mu - m\right)u(p'),$$
which simplifies to:
$$\left(\gamma^\mu p_\mu - m\right)u(p)=\left(\gamma^\mu p_\mu - m\right)u(p'),$$
since ##p'=p## when ##\vec{q}=0##. Therefore, we can see that in this limit, the expression becomes:
$$\bar{u}(p')\gamma^i u(p)=\bar{u}(p)\gamma^i u(p)=0,$$
since the Dirac equation vanishes for both the initial and final state electron. This is why the expression vanishes at ##\vec{q}=0##.

Related to Electron's magnetic moment

1. What is an electron's magnetic moment?

The electron's magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by an electron as it moves through space. It is a fundamental property of the electron and is responsible for many of its behaviors in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How is an electron's magnetic moment related to its spin?

The electron's magnetic moment is directly related to its spin, which is a quantum mechanical property that describes its intrinsic angular momentum. The magnitude of the magnetic moment is proportional to the electron's spin, with a specific factor known as the gyromagnetic ratio.

3. Why is an electron's magnetic moment important in materials science?

The magnetic moment of an electron is crucial in understanding the behavior of materials in the presence of a magnetic field. It plays a significant role in magnetic properties such as ferromagnetism, which is the ability of a material to become permanently magnetized. It also affects the interactions between electrons in a material, leading to phenomena like spintronics.

4. How is an electron's magnetic moment measured?

There are several experimental techniques used to measure an electron's magnetic moment, including nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), electron spin resonance (ESR), and Mössbauer spectroscopy. These methods involve applying a magnetic field to the electron and measuring the resulting energy levels and transitions.

5. Can an electron's magnetic moment change?

Yes, an electron's magnetic moment can change in certain circumstances. For example, when an electron is placed in an external magnetic field, its magnetic moment will align with the field, causing a change in its direction. Additionally, the magnetic moment can be affected by interactions with other particles, such as in quantum electrodynamics processes.