Electroplating apparatus gets very warm

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 12V 10A power supply and copper electrodes for making copper sulfate. After 5 minutes, the mixture gets warm and an ammeter shows .2A of current being drawn due to the resistance of the acid-water mixture. The use of pure, clean copper is recommended for good plating results. The speaker also mentions their success with immersion plating on pliers, but notes that electrode coating allows for thicker and better quality coatings. They also mention the possibility of electroless coating on any conductive substrate.
Flyingwing12
I have a 12V 10A power supply connected to the copper electrodes used for making copper sulfate.

After about 5 minutes, the mixture gets warm.

An ammeter connected in series only shows about .2A of current being drawn so I suspect that it is the huge restiveness of the acid,water mixture.

Also, do I always need pure, clean copper to get a good plating?

I was able to wire brush some pliers and just dunk them in the solution and got a wonderful result.

Is there any way to get this automatic adhesion with any metal?

I am fairly new to this electroplating. I have piddled in the past but want to use the rust preventative properties.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Pure plating solutions give the best results. The type of plating you performed with your pliers is called immersion plating and is self regulating. You only can plate very thin coatings and it stops. Electrode coating allows you to build up much thicker coatings of better quality. Immersion coating only occurs if the substrate is of higher potential than copper so it can't be done with every metal.
You could do something called electroless coating which can be performed on any conductive substrate. Here is a good writeup.

What is electroplating?

Electroplating is a process in which a thin layer of one metal is deposited onto the surface of another metal using an electric current. This is usually done to enhance the appearance of an object, improve its durability, or change its properties.

Why does the electroplating apparatus get very warm?

The electroplating process involves passing an electric current through the solution containing the metal ions to be deposited. This causes a transfer of energy and produces heat, which can make the apparatus warm.

Is it normal for the electroplating apparatus to get warm?

Yes, it is normal for the electroplating apparatus to get warm during the process. The amount of heat generated depends on the strength of the electric current and the size of the object being plated. However, if the apparatus becomes too hot, it may indicate a problem with the equipment or the process.

What can be done to prevent the electroplating apparatus from getting too hot?

To prevent the electroplating apparatus from getting too hot, it is important to monitor the electric current and adjust it accordingly. Using a larger tank or adding a cooling system can also help dissipate the heat and prevent the apparatus from overheating.

Are there any safety precautions to take when using the electroplating apparatus?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when using the electroplating apparatus. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to avoid contact with the chemicals and hot surfaces. It is also important to properly dispose of any waste materials and follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe operation.

Back