Electrostatics and capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a plate capacitor with round plates, a dielectric material, and a specified charge. The relevant equations for capacitance and charge are mentioned, and the person initially has trouble understanding the problem but eventually figures it out after researching the equations online.
Zeymare
Homework Statement
There is a plate capacitor with round plates which have a diamter ov 0.3 meters and a plate distance of 0.00001 meters (or 0.01 mm). The Gap between both plates is filled with water. How high does the voltage on the capacitor have to be, to be able to save the charge of 0.001267 C (1.267 mC)? (one plate is positive, the other negative)
Relevant Equations
Capacity C = Charge Q/Voltage U
i didnt understand anything really, i read it a few times but i don't get it

Physics news on Phys.org
Its actually relly hard to put the question in english. But we need to use multiple things to be able to calculate that, for example the area of a Circle and the electric field constant. but i just don't know how everything ties together.

Likes Delta2
Zeymare said:
Homework Statement:: There is a plate capacitor with round plates which have a diamter ov 0.3 meters and a plate distance of 0.00001 meters (or 0.01 mm). The Gap between both plates is filled with water. How high does the voltage on the capacitor have to be, to be able to save the charge of 0.001267 C (1.267 mC)? (one plate is positive, the other negative)
Relevant Equations:: Capacity C = Charge Q/Voltage U

i didnt understand anything really, i read it a few times but i don't get it
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you show us the Relevant Equation for the Capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor in terms of the plate area and separation, and the value of the dielectric constant ##\epsilon## of the material filling the space between the plates?

And then what is the equation for the charge stored on a capacitor, in terms of the capacitance and the applied voltage? :smile:

Likes Delta2 and hutchphd
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you show us the Relevant Equation for the Capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor in terms of the plate area and separation, and the value of the dielectric constant ##\epsilon## of the material filling the space between the plates?

And then what is the equation for the charge stored on a capacitor, in terms of the capacitance and the applied voltage? :smile:
I am sorry for the late answer but i think i figured it out now. After you mentioned the equations, i researvhed a bit on google (because i didnt understand them in my book) and realized that i understood something completetly the wrong way and that's why i couldn't continue...so thank you

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It deals with the behavior of stationary electric charges and the forces and fields they produce.

2. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductors separated by an insulator, known as a dielectric, which can store and release charge.

3. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electric charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied across the capacitor, one plate accumulates positive charge while the other accumulates negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy.

4. What are the applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits, including energy storage, filtering, timing, and power conditioning. They are also used in power supplies, audio equipment, and electric motors.

5. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge on the capacitor in coulombs, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts. The capacitance also depends on the geometry and materials of the capacitor.