Electrostatics balancing gravitational, coulomb forces and tension

In summary, the extra factor of 2 in the homework equation is resolved when the cosine of the angle is multiplied by 4 under the square root sign.
FatPhysicsBoy

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm on the first part of this question and I've got to the end but I have an extra factor of two which I can't seem to explain! Any insight would be much appreciated, thank you!

efrkoy.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I resolved the forces around one ball and came up with the following:

Resolving vertically: mg = Tcosθ, Resolving horizontally: Tsinθ = F2,1

Then using pythagoras I found sinθ = r/2l and cosθ = √(4l2 - r2)

Putting it all together I get: 2F2,1 = mgr/√(4l2 - r2)

I just don't understand the extra factor of 2. I thought it might be because it's at half the separation but this isn't correct. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
cosθ = √(4l2 - r2)
This bit isn't quite right. It looks like you are trying to skip ahead to the next step before you have written things down properly. Maybe if you go through it again, writing down each step then you will get the right answer.

BruceW said:
cosθ = √(4l2 - r2)
This bit isn't quite right. It looks like you are trying to skip ahead to the next step before you have written things down properly. Maybe if you go through it again, writing down each step then you will get the right answer.

I don't understand?

I split the "triangle" up with hypotenuse l and adjacent r/2 and then used pythagoras to get:

a2 = l2 - (r2/4)

a = √(l2 - (r2/4)

Then I just multiplied both terms by 4 under the square root sign to get a = √(4l2 - (r2)

FatPhysicsBoy said:
a = √(l2 - (r2/4)

Then I just multiplied both terms by 4 under the square root sign to get a = √(4l2 - (r2)
This like saying you have ##x=\sqrt{1/4}##, and you multiplied by 4 under the square root sign to get ##x=\sqrt{1}=1##.Your expression for the cosine can't be right because it has units of length. The result of taking the cosine of an angle should be unitless.

BruceW said:
cosθ = √(4l2 - r2)

vela said:
This like saying you have ##x=\sqrt{1/4}##, and you multiplied by 4 under the square root sign to get ##x=\sqrt{1}=1##.

Your expression for the cosine can't be right because it has units of length. The result of taking the cosine of an angle should be unitless.

Thank you for your help guys, I've figured it out now!

so cosθ= [√(l2-(r2/4))]/l

Then fast forward to 2F= mgr/√(l2-(r2/4)) take the 2 across and rewrite as √4 then push into the √(l2-(r2/4)) term to be left with mgr/√(4l2-(r2))

Thank You!

Related to Electrostatics balancing gravitational, coulomb forces and tension

1. What is electrostatics balancing gravitational, coulomb forces and tension?

Electrostatics balancing gravitational, coulomb forces and tension is a concept in physics that involves the equilibrium of forces between charged particles, gravitational forces, and tension forces. It is used to describe the interactions and stability of objects in a system where all three forces are present.

2. How do you calculate the electrostatic force between two charged particles?

The electrostatic force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. The equation is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the role of tension in electrostatics balancing?

Tension is a force that exists in a system where objects are connected by a string, rope, or other material. In electrostatics balancing, tension plays a crucial role in keeping the charged particles in equilibrium. It can counterbalance the electrostatic and gravitational forces, preventing the particles from moving away from each other.

4. How does electrostatics balancing relate to everyday life?

Electrostatics balancing can be seen in various everyday situations, such as the stability of atoms and molecules, the behavior of electric charges and magnets, and the stability of structures such as bridges and buildings. It is also essential in the functioning of electronic devices and equipment, such as computers and cell phones.

5. What are some practical applications of electrostatics balancing?

Electrostatics balancing has various practical applications, including electrostatic precipitators used to remove pollutants from industrial exhaust, inkjet printers, and electrostatic air filters. It is also used in particle accelerators, which are essential in scientific research, and in the production of everyday items such as plastic wrap and adhesive tapes.