Electrostatics (conduction) and polarization.

In summary, when a positively-charged rod touches a metal sphere on an insulating stand, the positive charge from the rod spreads onto the sphere through conduction. The positive charge remains on the sphere due to the insulating stand preventing it from flowing to the ground. This creates a positively-charged sphere. In the case of a positively-charged balloon sticking to a wooden wall, the molecules in the wooden wall become polarized and create an oppositely-charged surface, resulting in the attraction between the balloon and the wall. The actual particles involved in this process are the electrons, which are evenly and randomly distributed throughout the metal sphere and move from the rod to the sphere during conduction. This results in a net positive charge on the
ThetaPi

Homework Statement

Describe how a metal sphere on an insulating stand is charged if a positively-charged rod were to touch the sphere. (This is a 5 mark problem, so at least 5 major points should be included in the answer. I am not sure whether I have fully answered the problem.)

Homework Equations

Not applicable, of course.

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric charge is created by conduction (charging by contact). When the positively-charged rod touches the sphere, some of the positive charge from the rod spreads onto the metal sphere because like charges repel one another. When the rod is removed, the positive charge spreads evenly over the metal sphere and remains there since the insulating stand prevents the flow of the charge to the ground. The positively-charged rod has given the sphere a positive charge.

I have another problem which I have no idea as to how to solve it:

Homework Statement

A positively-charged balloon will stick to a wooden wall by polarizing molecules in the wooden wall to create an oppositely-charged surface. Describe how the charges are aligned on both the balloon and the wall. (This is a three-mark problem.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ThetaPi said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric charge is created by conduction (charging by contact). When the positively-charged rod touches the sphere, some of the positive charge from the rod spreads onto the metal sphere because like charges repel one another. When the rod is removed, the positive charge spreads evenly over the metal sphere and remains there since the insulating stand prevents the flow of the charge to the ground. The positively-charged rod has given the sphere a positive charge.
[/I]

As a teacher, I would not yet give you full points for this answer. Remember, this is a solid conductor. Think of the actual particles that are moving about and carrying the charge from one object to the other? What are they called, and which way do they actually move?

They are electrons. In metals, they are evenly and randomly distributed throughout the sphere since they are free to move? Delocalized electrons? I don't know. Please guide me on this.

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with electric charges at rest. It studies the behavior of electric charges and the effects of their interactions on objects and materials.

What is conduction in electrostatics?

Conduction in electrostatics refers to the transfer of electric charge between objects through direct contact. This occurs when there is a difference in electric potential between the objects, causing electrons to flow from one object to the other.

What is polarization in electrostatics?

Polarization in electrostatics refers to the separation of electric charges within a material in response to an external electric field. This results in the alignment of the material's positive and negative charges, creating an induced dipole moment.

How is conduction different from polarization?

Conduction involves the transfer of electric charges between objects, while polarization involves the rearrangement of charges within a material. In conduction, the transfer of charges is temporary, while in polarization, the charges remain separated even after the external field is removed.

What are some common examples of conduction and polarization?

Conduction can be seen in everyday objects, such as when we touch a doorknob and feel a shock due to the transfer of charge from our body to the doorknob. Polarization is commonly observed in materials such as rubber, which becomes negatively charged when rubbed against certain surfaces due to the transfer of electrons.