Investigating the Charge Distribution on a Bulging Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the charge distribution and density on a conducting sphere that has been given a charge q and develops a small hemispherical bulge on its surface due to nonuniform mechanical strength and electrostatic force. The question is raised whether the charge on the bulge is uniformly distributed and if it can be assumed to be so for certain purposes. There is some confusion and discussion about how the charge configuration would be over the bulge and nearby areas on the sphere's surface. The original question is confirmed to be accurate and the official answer is requested.
Daniel777
Homework Statement
Due to nonuniform mechanical strength, when a conducting sphere is
given a charge Q , the electrostatic forces make a small hemispherical
bulge on its surface. The radius r of the bulge is negligibly small as
compared to the radius R of the conducting sphere.
Can you assume charge on the bulge distributed uniformly?
Relevant Equations
Charge distribution
In this question it is given that the sphere which is conducting is initially given a charge q then due to nonuniform mechanical strength and due to electrostatic force it creates a Small hemispherical bulge on its surface?

okay my doubt is Let me define a term σ where σ is surface density density so is dq/da going to be constant? And also on bulge part how would the charge distribution be is it going to be uniformly distributed over bulge part? According to me initially when sphere was given a charge q it was uniformly distributed but due to electric forces charges repel each other and create a bulge and I think they should repel each other and settle down in such a way that then also charge will be uniformly distributed only? Is it that?

I am really confused I can't be able to interpret the results? Please help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully you will get better replies from others, but it sure seems like if the growth in radius of the bulge is negligible compared to the sphere's starting radius, that the divergence would not deviate much in that hemisphere compared to the slightly smaller hemisphere. Maybe I'm missing something, though...

1643056666342.png

https://mypages.iit.edu/~smile/guests/gsmxsec1.htm

Daniel777 said:
okay my doubt is Let me define a term σ where σ is surface density density so is dq/da going to be constant? And also on bulge part how would the charge distribution be is it going to be uniformly distributed over bulge part? According to me initially when sphere was given a charge q it was uniformly distributed but due to electric forces charges repel each other and create a bulge and I think they should repel each other and settle down in such a way that then also charge will be uniformly distributed only? Is it that?

I am really confused I can't be able to interpret the results? Please help me out?
I'm not sure whether you are saying the density should still be roughly the same over the whole sphere or just over the bulge (and different from that over the rest of the sphere).
Crudely, let's suppose the second case, ignoring variations over the bulge and local changes near the bulge.
For a given charge density, how does the surface potential vary with the radius of the sphere? For the whole surface of the sphere to be still at one potential, what does that suggest about the density on the bulge?

berkeman said:
it sure seems like if the growth in radius of the bulge is negligible compared to the sphere's starting radius, that the divergence would not deviate much in that hemisphere compared to the slightly smaller hemisphere.
Since r<<R, we can consider a ‘close-up’ view to get an intuition. The bump' and surrounding region is then, in effect, a conducting hemisphere attached to a flat conducting surface.

I interpret the question to be “Can you assume the charge on the hemisphere is distributed uniformly over the hemisphere?“.

Steve4Physics said:
I interpret the question to be “Can you assume the charge on the hemisphere is distributed uniformly over the hemisphere?“.
I was thinking more that it clearly cannot be (and likewise the distribution on the nearby plane/large sphere), but can it be so treated as a first approximation in order to get the relationship between the two densities ?

haruspex said:
I was thinking more that it clearly cannot be (and likewise the distribution on the nearby plane/large sphere),
I agree.

haruspex said:
but can it be so treated as a first approximation in order to get the relationship between the two densities ?
Possibly. Intersting. I'm not sure though.

But the original question is:
"Can you assume charge on the bulge [is] distributed uniformly?"
and that seems a fairly specific/unambiguous question.

Steve4Physics said:
But the original question is:
"Can you assume charge on the bulge [is] distributed uniformly?"
and that seems a fairly specific/unambiguous question.
I feel that can be read as can we take it to be uniform for some (unstated) purpose?

haruspex said:
I feel that can be read as can we take it to be uniform for some (unstated) purpose?
Yes, that's a possible interpretation. I wonder if @Daniel777 (the OP) can confirm the question posted is accurate and complete. And if the official answer becomes available, it would be interesting to see it.

haruspex said:
over the bulge and local changes near the

Steve4Physics said:
Yes, that's a possible interpretation. I wonder if @Daniel777 (the OP) can confirm the question posted is accurate and complete. And if the official answer becomes available, it would be interesting to see it.
This is actually the original question.I hope it doesn't have any error.

Attachments

• IMG_20220124_202336_439.jpg
    IMG_20220124_202336_439.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 89
Oh, it's a little bump, not the whole hemisphere of the overall sphere. Sorry that I misunderstood the question.

berkeman said:
Oh, it's a little bump, not the whole hemisphere of the overall sphere. Sorry that I misunderstood the question.
Yeah but I am still in determining how would the charge configuration be over the entire sphere including the bulge part and electric field lines direction

Is the divergence of D higher or lower above the bump compared to the rest of the sphere?

berkeman said:
Is the divergence of D higher or lower above the bump compared to the rest of the sphere?
I haven't studied about the divergence yet

Daniel777 said:
Yeah but I am still in determining how would the charge configuration be over the entire sphere including the bulge part and electric field lines direction
Typically charge distribution is a complicated matter except in some special cases. I feel confident saying It would not be uniform on either curved surface, but to solve the next part I think you have to assume it is near enough uniform. At least try that.

PhDeezNutz said:
https://indjst.org/articles/capacitance-of-two-overlapping-conducting-spheres

Here’s a free paper on applying the method of images to overlapping spheres.
I couldn’t see how the method of images could be applied to hemispheres, though. Do you see a way?
Besides, I am only aware of such methods being used to find induced potentials. Finding a charge distribution is another matter.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
haruspex said:
I couldn’t see how the method of images could be applied to hemispheres, though. Do you see a way?
Besides, Inam only aware of such methods being used to find induced potentials. Finding a charge distribution is another matter.
I may have just instinctively and prematurely drawn a comparison where there is none. I’m going to work on it…..maybe I’ll come up with something useful or maybe it will turn out that I was incredibly misguided.

Anyway thanks for challenging it because now I have an interesting problem to work on.

Since @Daniel777 hasn’t met divergence yet, it sound like they are [choosing political correctness over grammar] working at an introductory level. That suggests only a relatively simple approach is being called for.

@Daniel777, have you met the effect of curvature on surface charge density (of conductors)? For two conducting spheres at the same potential, there is a simple relationship between the spheres’ surface charge densities and their radii.

(The classic example is that a sharp point on a charged conductor has a high surface charge density compared to the rest of the conductor’s surface.)

If you assume the average surface charge densities on the hemisphere and on the sphere obey this relationship, you might be able to answer part (b) of the question.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Steve4Physics said:
Since @Daniel777 hasn’t met divergence yet, it sound like they are [choosing political correctness over grammar] working at an introductory level. That suggests only a relatively simple approach is being called for.

@Daniel777, have you met the effect of curvature on surface charge density (of conductors)? For two conducting spheres at the same potential, there is a simple relationship between the spheres’ surface charge densities and their radii.

(The classic example is that a sharp point on a charged conductor has a high surface charge density compared to the rest of the conductor’s surface.)

If you assume the average surface charge densities on the hemisphere and on the sphere obey this relationship, you might be able to answer part (b) of the question.
This is what I have been trying to get @Daniel777 to try in posts #3 and #14.

Likes Steve4Physics and PhDeezNutz

1. What is the purpose of investigating the charge distribution on a bulging sphere?

The purpose of this investigation is to understand the behavior of electric charges on a three-dimensional object, specifically a bulging sphere. This can help us gain insights into the principles of electrostatics and how charges interact with each other.

2. How is the charge distribution on a bulging sphere different from that on a regular sphere?

The charge distribution on a bulging sphere is not uniform like that on a regular sphere. Due to the bulging shape, the charges are more concentrated at the bulging part and less concentrated at the flat parts. This creates a non-uniform distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the charge distribution on a bulging sphere?

The charge distribution on a bulging sphere is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the bulge, the material of the sphere, and the external electric field. These factors can influence the distribution and concentration of charges on the surface of the sphere.

4. How can the charge distribution on a bulging sphere be measured?

The charge distribution on a bulging sphere can be measured using various techniques such as electrostatic force microscopy, Kelvin probe force microscopy, or scanning tunneling microscopy. These techniques allow for the visualization and measurement of the distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere.

5. What are the practical applications of investigating the charge distribution on a bulging sphere?

Understanding the charge distribution on a bulging sphere has practical applications in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and electronics. It can help in the design and development of new materials and devices with specific charge distributions, which can be useful in areas such as energy storage, sensors, and microelectronics.