Electrostatics Method of image

In summary, the problem involves two semi-infinite grounded conducting planes at a 60 degree angle, with a charge Q located closer to one of the planes along the positive x-axis. The objective is to create a diagram with all image charges and angles labeled, along with the magnitude of the charges. There are no specific equations needed, but it is important to note that theta1 + theta2 = 60 degrees. The solution involves reflecting the object in two plane mirrors at a 60 degree angle and assigning charges at those points to produce zero potential at all points on the mirrors. However, the exact angles for the image charges are still unknown.
Daniel4592

Homework Statement

two semi infinite grounded conducting planes make a 60 degree angle. One plane along the positive x-axis. There is a charge Q at point (m,n) located closer to the plate running along the x-axis than the other. what would a diagram look like with all image charges and angles labeled along with the charges magnitude.

Homework Equations

don't believe you'll need any I have theta1 + theta2 = 60 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the charges. I can't figure out there angles though. there would be a reflection charge across y and x and 2 diagonal charges. Not sure on the angle though

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel4592 said:
I have the charges. I can't figure out there angles though. there would be a reflection charge across y and x and 2 diagonal charges. Not sure on the angle though
That's too vague for me to know what you have so far.
Try this: where would all the images be if instead this were an object reflected in two plane mirrors at sixty degrees? Can you assign charges at those points to produce zero potential at all points on the mirrors?

1. What is the Electrostatics Method of image?

The Electrostatics Method of image is a mathematical tool used to solve electrostatic problems. It involves creating a hypothetical image charge that is the mirror image of a real charge with respect to a conducting surface.

2. How does the Electrostatics Method of image work?

The Electrostatics Method of image works by taking advantage of the fact that electric fields are always perpendicular to the surface of a conductor. This allows us to create an image charge that, when combined with the real charge, produces a net electric field of zero at the conducting surface.

3. What are the benefits of using the Electrostatics Method of image?

The Electrostatics Method of image is a powerful tool because it allows us to solve complex electrostatic problems using simple mathematical manipulations. It also provides us with a quick and efficient way to calculate electric fields and potentials near conducting surfaces.

4. Are there any limitations to the Electrostatics Method of image?

Yes, there are limitations to the Electrostatics Method of image. It can only be applied to problems involving conductors and only works in the presence of a uniform electric field. It also assumes that the conducting surface is infinitely large and that the real charge is located outside of the conductor.

5. How is the Electrostatics Method of image used in real-world applications?

The Electrostatics Method of image is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing electronic circuits, analyzing the behavior of charged particles in accelerators, and modeling the behavior of electric fields in and around conductors. It is also used in the design of electrostatic shields and in the study of electrostatic phenomena in biology and chemistry.