No problem, happy to help! Keep up the good work in your studies.

In summary, the homework statement is that a point charge at (0,0,a) has a potential in the region z > 0. The potential is calculated using the method of images.
blizzardof96

Homework Statement

The z = 0 plane is a grounded conducting surface. A point charge q is at (0,0,a), and charge 4q at (0,-2a,a).
Calculate the potential in the region z > 0.

Homework Equations

V=∑kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Use the method of images.

V1 = kq/r+ + kq/r-
V1=kq(1/sqrt(x^2 +y^2 + (z-a)^2) - 1/sqrt(x^2 +y^2 + (z+a)^2)

V2=4kq/r+ + 4kq/r-
V2 = 4kq(1/sqrt(x^2 + (y+2a)^2 + (z-a)^2) - 1/sqrt(x^2+(y+2a)^2 + (z+a)^2))

Vtotal=ΣV=V1+V2
Vtotal=4kq(1/sqrt(x^2 + (y+2a)^2 + (z-a)^2) - 1/sqrt(x^2+(y+2a)^2 + (z+a)^2)) + kq(1/sqrt(x^2 +y^2 + (z-a)^2) - 1/sqrt(x^2 +y^2 + (z+a)^2)

Is this the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
PF isn't for stamp-approving homework. The answer to your question can be obtained from your teacher: hand it in.
Or is there another reason you ask: have doubt at some point ? Tell us.

BvU said:
PF isn't for stamp-approving homework. The answer to your question can be obtained from your teacher: hand it in.
Or is there another reason you ask: have doubt at some point ? Tell us.

I have doubts as the value for Vtotal seems unnecessarily complex and there is nothing in the final expression that can simplify. The solution appears much different from the usual form we see in an electric potential problem.

blizzardof96 said:
unnecessarily complex
I see. Lots of textbook exercises have compact and elegant answers, I agree. Somewhat unrealistic, I must warn you.

In this case you have four terms from the four contributing charges (two real, two image). The mirror image method ensures the physical boundary conditions are met ( V=0 at z=0 and ##\vec E \perp (z=0)## ) and that's about all there is to be said.

At large distances ( ##|\vec r| >> a## ) your configuration should give a dipole field, but here you are clearly expected to give the full detailed answer you worked out.

Likes blizzardof96
BvU said:
I see. Lots of textbook exercises have compact and elegant answers, I agree. Somewhat unrealistic, I must warn you.

In this case you have four terms from the four contributing charges (two real, two image). The mirror image method ensures the physical boundary conditions are met ( V=0 at z=0 and ##\vec E \perp (z=0)## ) and that's about all there is to be said.

At large distances ( ##|\vec r| >> a## ) your configuration should give a dipole field, but here you are clearly expected to give the full detailed answer you worked out.

Thank you. As a third year undergrad with less physics knowledge than yourself I appreciate it.

1. What is the "Method of Images Problem"?

The "Method of Images Problem" is a technique used in electrostatics and fluid mechanics to solve boundary value problems. It involves creating a hypothetical image charge or source to simulate the presence of an actual charge or source in a given system.

2. When is the "Method of Images Problem" used?

The "Method of Images Problem" is used when the boundary conditions of a given system include a grounded conducting boundary or a dielectric interface. It is also used when the system contains a point charge or a line charge.

3. How does the "Method of Images Problem" work?

The "Method of Images Problem" works by creating an image of the actual charge or source across the boundary or interface. The electric field produced by the image charge or source cancels the electric field produced by the actual charge or source at the boundary, satisfying the given boundary conditions.

4. What are the limitations of the "Method of Images Problem"?

The "Method of Images Problem" is limited to a few simple geometries, such as a point charge or a line charge near a grounded conducting plane. It also cannot be used for systems with complex boundary conditions or multiple charges/sources.

5. How is the "Method of Images Problem" related to other methods in electrostatics and fluid mechanics?

The "Method of Images Problem" is related to other methods, such as the method of images for electrical circuits and the mirror method in fluid mechanics. These methods all involve creating a virtual image to simplify the problem and obtain a solution.