Electrostatics/ Statistical Mechanics

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the displacement vector and the partition function in statistical mechanics. The person seeking help is struggling to find where to start and is looking for guidance on understanding the problem and breaking it down into smaller steps. They are also open to further assistance.
Shadowz

Homework Statement

I am working a problem similar to this problem, (problem 2.18)
http://books.google.com/books?id=it...&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

2. The attempt at a solution
I don't really know where to start. I know that
[tex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial D}=M[/tex] and I will somehow need to find the partition function Q for the ensemble.

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org

John

Dear John,

It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and the relevant equations. To start, I would suggest looking at the definition of the partition function Q and how it relates to the energy and the displacement vector. This will give you a better understanding of how to approach the problem.

Additionally, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps. For example, you could first try to find the partition function for a single particle in the ensemble, and then build up to the full ensemble.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out for help. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other. It also involves the behavior of electric fields and how they are affected by charged particles.

2. How does electrostatics differ from electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with stationary charges, while electrodynamics takes into account the movement of charged particles. Electrostatics is a subset of electrodynamics, which also includes the study of magnetic fields and their interactions with electric fields.

3. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles, such as molecules in a gas or atoms in a solid. It aims to understand and predict the macroscopic properties of a system based on the microscopic behavior of its individual particles.

4. What is the difference between classical and quantum statistical mechanics?

Classical statistical mechanics applies to systems with large numbers of particles and assumes that the particles have well-defined positions and momentums. Quantum statistical mechanics, on the other hand, applies to systems at the atomic or subatomic level and takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their wave-like behavior.

5. How is electrostatics related to statistical mechanics?

Electrostatics is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics, as it helps to explain the behavior of charged particles in a system. The principles of electrostatics, such as the Coulomb's Law and the concept of electric potential, are used to describe the interactions between charged particles in statistical mechanics models.