Electrostatics - two charged balls

In summary: Yes, the total charge is the sum of the charge of the big sphere (Q1) and the charge of the small sphere (Q2).
polibuda
Homework Statement
Calculate the approximate value of the strength of the field on the surface of the metal sphere with radius r = 0.1 mm attached to a ball with radius R = 10cm and voltage U = 1kV.
Relevant Equations
E
Could somebody check my solution in this task? Is it correct?

1604316803868.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
If the big ball is not from conducting material, and we neglect the surface charge density of the small metal sphere (due to electrostatic induction, probably we have the right to neglect it since the metal ball is very small), then your answer seems to be correct(as an approximation, but that's what the problem's statement asks for anyway)
However, if the big ball is from conducting material, then there would be charge flow between the two spheres, till they are at the same potential. The problem's solution becomes quite different in this case.

Likes polibuda
I got to know, that both are from from conducting material. Well, what I should to do to solve task?

polibuda said:
I got to know, that both are from from conducting material. Well, what I should to do to solve task?
What will be the potential on the small sphere?

Likes polibuda
haruspex said:
What will be the potential on the small sphere?
Will it be the same like in big sphere?

polibuda said:
Will it be the same like in big sphere?
Yes.

Likes polibuda
@haruspex this problem doesn't have an exact analytical solution right? To find an approximation (as the problem statement asks) is it right to consider the potential of each sphere equal to ##k\frac{Q_i}{R_i}## and then solve the system of equations $$K\frac{Q_1}{R_1}=K\frac{Q_2}{R_2}$$, $$Q_1+Q_2=Q_{TOT}$$

Likes polibuda
Delta2 said:
@haruspex this problem doesn't have an exact analytical solution right? To find an approximation (as the problem statement asks) is it right to consider the potential of each sphere equal to ##k\frac{Q_i}{R_i}## and then solve the system of equations $$K\frac{Q_1}{R_1}=K\frac{Q_2}{R_2}$$, $$Q_1+Q_2=Q_{TOT}$$
Yes, but even simplify it a bit further. Just assume the smaller sphere goes to potential U and that this is almost entirely due to the charge it acquires. The charge on the larger sphere will have rearranged itself so as to create very little potential near the small sphere.

The field is more problematic. Where the two spheres face each other, their fields must cancel, right? And on the other side of the small sphere they will reinforce.
I think we have to interpret the question as asking for the field due to the charge on the small sphere, not the net field.

Likes polibuda
haruspex said:
Yes, but even simplify it a bit further. Just assume the smaller sphere goes to potential U and that this is almost entirely due to the charge it acquires.
Not sure I understand what simplification you mean. Do you mean that we should consider the final potential of both sphere, equal to the initial potential of the big sphere V=1KV?
haruspex said:
The charge on the larger sphere will have rearranged itself so as to create very little potential near the small sphere.
Can you elaborate a bit more on that, cause i thought that the charge distribution on the big sphere will stay almost unaffected because very small charge will move into the smaller sphere.

Likes polibuda
Delta2 said:
Do you mean that we should consider the final potential of both sphere, equal to the initial potential of the big sphere V=1KV?
Yes.
Delta2 said:
i thought that the charge distribution on the big sphere will stay almost unaffected because very small charge will move into the smaller sphere.
It won't be much charge, but because of the small radius it will be a significant field.
Don't your equations in post #7 lead to that?

Edit: But now I think I am being inconsistent, having argued for equal and opposite fields.

Likes polibuda and Delta2
Delta2 said:

It is my new solution, but I think it is completely bad done. I have the qeustions to equations. Is the first electric potential (V1) equal to 10kV and the second equal to K*(charge of small sphere)/(radius of small sphere)? Is total charge the sum of charge of big sphere (Q1) and charge of small sphere (Q2)?
1604576967880.png

You went the wrong direction when you setup this equation $$U=V_1+V_2$$. The correct equation to use is ##V_1=V_2##.

U=1KV is useful only to determine the total initial charge which i think you calculate correctly as $$Q=1,11\cdot10^{-8}$$

Likes polibuda
Delta2 said:
You went the wrong direction when you setup this equation $$U=V_1+V_2$$. The correct equation to use is ##V_1=V_2##.

U=1KV is useful only to determine the total initial charge which i think you calculate correctly as $$Q=1,11\cdot10^{-8}$$
Thank you, but I have problem with understanding equations.
##V_1 = 10kV ?##
##V_2 = K*(Charge Of Small Sphere)/(Radius Of Small Sphere) ?##

polibuda said:
Thank you, but I have problem with understanding equations.
##V_1 = 10kV ?##
##V_2 = K*(Charge Of Small Sphere)/(Radius Of Small Sphere) ?##
##V_2## is correct.
Why do you think ##V_1## is 10kV?

Likes polibuda
##V_1## is the potential that the big sphere will have after the charge flow has ended. In your work in post #11 you set it equal to ##K\frac{Q-Q_2}{R}## which is correct.

Likes polibuda
Delta2 said:
##V_2## is correct.
Why do you think ##V_1## is 10kV?
Beacuse it is given as voltage in task.

Delta2 said:
##V_1## is the potential that the big sphere will have after the charge flow has ended. In your work in post #11 you set it equal to ##K\frac{Q-Q_2}{R}## which is correct.
Ahhh, ok. Thank you very much for help. Now, I should cope with solving task.

1. How do two charged balls interact with each other?

Two charged balls interact with each other through electrostatic forces, which are attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the balls. If the balls have opposite charges, they will attract each other, while if they have the same charge, they will repel each other.

2. What is the formula for calculating the electrostatic force between two charged balls?

The formula for calculating the electrostatic force between two charged balls is F = k * (q1 * q2) / d^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the balls, and d is the distance between the balls.

3. Can two charged balls have the same charge and still attract each other?

No, two charged balls with the same charge will always repel each other. This is because like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

4. How does the distance between two charged balls affect the electrostatic force between them?

The electrostatic force between two charged balls is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the balls increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

5. Can two neutral balls become charged by rubbing them together?

Yes, two neutral balls can become charged by rubbing them together. This is because the rubbing action causes the transfer of electrons between the two balls, resulting in one ball having a positive charge and the other having a negative charge.