Element order in factor groups

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the order of an element in a factor group, specifically in Z (mod 12) / <4>. The participants mention using a theorem and Lagrange's theorem to determine the order, as well as listing the elements of the factor group and the factors of the element in question. Ultimately, it is determined that the order of the element in the factor group is 4.
factor
I'm currently studying factor groups in abstract algebra and needed some help understanding how to determine the order of an element in a factor group

Suppose I have Z (mod 12) / <4>. And I choose some random element from Z (mod 12) such as 5 or 7. How would I go about determining the order of 5 + <4> or 7 + <4> in the factor group. The way I understand is that in Z (mod 12) / <4> we collapse everything in <4> to the identity in Z (mod 12) so that 5 for instance would have order |{5,10,3,8}| = 4 because 8 is an identity in the factor group. Any help or correction on my admittedly poor understanding would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
From a theorem, i believe, if the index of a normal group, N, in a group G is say, like in your case 4. then the order of the factro group G/N is 4. So, by lagranges theorem for every el in G/N, say C, C^4=N (identity). Now in your case, the order of Z_12/<4> is 4, so there will be 4 distinct cosets of <4> in Z_12, all of length 3, which makes me think, that the order of any of the el. in Z_12/<4> is going to be 3.

The way I understand it is list the elements of the factor group. <4>={0,4,8} then list the factors of the element you are trying to find the order of. 5, 10, 3, 8 Stop it took 4 times to get to an element in the factor group. Therefore the element has an order of 4.

Related to Element order in factor groups

1. What is the significance of element order in factor groups?

The element order in factor groups is important because it gives us information about the structure and properties of the group. It tells us how many distinct elements are present in the group and how they relate to each other.

2. How is the element order in factor groups calculated?

The element order in factor groups is calculated by taking the order of the original group and dividing it by the order of the subgroup. This gives us the number of cosets in the factor group, which is equal to the element order.

3. Can the element order in factor groups be greater than the order of the original group?

No, the element order in factor groups cannot be greater than the order of the original group. It is always equal to or less than the order of the original group.

4. How does the element order in factor groups affect the group's solvability?

The element order in factor groups has a direct impact on the group's solvability. If the element order is a prime number, then the group is solvable. If the element order is not a prime number, then the group is not solvable.

5. Can two different factor groups have the same element order?

Yes, it is possible for two different factor groups to have the same element order. This can happen when the two original groups have different subgroups with the same order, resulting in the same number of cosets and thus the same element order in the factor group.