Elementary pendulum equation of motion

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving oscillating objects without using the Newton laws. However, after deriving an equation relating dΘ/dt and Θ at the same point, they realized that it did not make sense.
jonjacson

Homework Statement

To find the period of oscillation of the pendulum and the equation of motion.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy.
Potential energy in a constant field = mgh.
Kinetic energy in polar coordinates with r constant = (1/2) m r2 (dΘ2/dt2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't use the Newton laws because that means a second order differential equation. Instead I use the conservation of energy so I start from a first order equation.

1.- I set the origin of coordinates at the anchor point of the pendulum.
2.- I will use polar coordinates, the angle starts counting from the vertical counterclockwise.
3.- The energy is conserved so at the point 1 (at the bottom when the pendulum is faster) we have:
L is the length of the pendulum

KE =(1/2) mL22/dt2

Potential energy = -mgL ; I set the potential energy as zero at the origin of coordinates, the anchor point of the pendulum.

At the point 2 when the speed is zero I have:

KE = 0

PE = -mg (lcosΘ)

Now I equate the sum of the KE and PE at both points:

(1/2)mL22/dt2 -mgL = 0 -mg (LcosΘ)

(1/2) dΘ2/dt2 = g(1 - cos Θ ) /L

If Θ is small cos Θ can be aproximated by 1 - Θ2/2, so:

(1/2) dΘ2/dt2 = g ( 1- (1-Θ2/2))/L

Finally:

dΘ/dt = √(g/L) Θ2

dΘ/√(g/L) Θ2 = dt

Since Θ can get outside de square the integral is :

Log Θ = √L/g t + constant

And the basic expression is an exponential:

So Θ= exp t

And this is not the expected periodic movement and that does not make any sense. Does anybody know where is the mistake?

THanks

209r6mc.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You need an equation that holds at each point of the motion rather than an equation that just relates the lowest and highest points of the motion. Your equation relates dΘ/dt at one point to Θ at another point. Instead, try to get an equation that relates dΘ/dt and Θ at the same point.

TSny said:
You need an equation that holds at each point of the motion rather than an equation that just relates the lowest and highest points of the motion.

But shouldn't this be equivalent?

I mean, if I differenciate my equation, SHouldn't I get the Newton equations?

If you were to add subscripts 1 and 2 to denote the two points that you selected, you have an equation that involves [dΘ/dt]2 and Θ1 . So, you aren't getting a differential equation that holds throughout the motion.

TSny said:
If you were to add subscripts 1 and 2 to denote the two points that you selected, you have an equation that involves [dΘ/dt]2 and Θ1 . So, you aren't getting a differential equation that holds throughout the motion.

Ok I understand, so basically what I did simply didn't make sense.

THe equation could have been used to find only differences between energies, and nothing else.

So it could be calculated this way:

(1/2) m L2 (dΘ/dt)2 - mgL cos Θ= -mgL cos Θ0

Θ0 is the maximum angle.
Θ is a function of time

It means, the energy at an arbitrary point equals the maximum energy at the top of the movement.

From this it should be possible to obtain Θ(t) right?

Yes. Good.

Likes jonjacson
Are you going to make a small angle approximation soon. Otherwise, you will end up with an elliptic integral.

1. What is the elementary pendulum equation of motion?

The elementary pendulum equation of motion is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of a simple pendulum. It is given by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the elementary pendulum equation of motion derived?

The elementary pendulum equation of motion can be derived using the principles of simple harmonic motion and the equation for the restoring force of a pendulum, F = -mg(sinθ). By equating the force equation to the equation for acceleration (F = ma), we can derive the equation for the period of a pendulum.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum according to the elementary pendulum equation of motion?

The period of a pendulum is affected by two main factors: the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. On the other hand, as the acceleration due to gravity increases, the period decreases.

4. Can the elementary pendulum equation of motion be used for all types of pendulums?

No, the elementary pendulum equation of motion is only applicable to simple pendulums. A simple pendulum is defined as a point mass suspended by a massless, inextensible string and moving in a vertical plane. For more complex pendulums, a more advanced equation of motion is needed.

5. How accurate is the elementary pendulum equation of motion in predicting the motion of a pendulum?

The elementary pendulum equation of motion is a simplified version of the more complex equation of motion for a pendulum. It assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as air resistance. As a result, it may not be highly accurate in predicting the motion of a real pendulum. However, for simple pendulums under ideal conditions, it can provide a reasonably accurate prediction of the period of the pendulum.