Elementary question about WolframAlpha

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elementary
In summary, the speaker is having difficulty using the WolframAlpha app to portray 3D surfaces and complete an investigation for homework help. They are frustrated with the app's ability to understand natural language and strict input requirements, resulting in a cluttered history column. They are unsure about the consequences of using the "Clear" option and if there is a way to delete individual calculations from the history. The expert is unable to provide a solution but empathizes with the speaker's frustration.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How to delete selectively from history.
I am trying to use this WolframAlpha app (free if I remember) to portray some 3D surfaces. Having succeeded up to a point I don't want to switch to anything else while I complete an investigation bearing on some homework help.

Although I have read stuff claiming Wolfram is a smart system that can understand natural language I find just like anything with computers I cannot do anything of the above if it is not spelt out rigidly according to the prescriptions of example illustrations with their ( {} , ] etc. I also find that in >80% of cases I cannot do anything if I do spell out rigidly according to the prescriptions of example illustrations with their ( {} , ] etc! Result I have a History column 90% of which is useless and making it hard to find my useful results. So I would like to delete the rubbish, one item at a time.

Top Left there is a thing saying 'Clear'. I suppose this deletes just the one item but it comes with the dire warning it cannot be undone. I have tried to find out what this actually does, but could not find anything telling me this simple thing in WolframAlpha or outside - though there is plenty about how to perform massacres of data which seems a large preoccupation

So can anyone reassure me?

Physics news on Phys.org
epenguin said:
Top Left there is a thing saying 'Clear'. I suppose this deletes just the one item but it comes with the dire warning it cannot be undone. I have tried to find out what this actually does, but could not find anything telling me this simple thing in WolframAlpha or outside - though there is plenty about how to perform massacres of data which seems a large preoccupation

So can anyone reassure me?
No. It deletes the entire history.

Likes jim mcnamara
DrClaude said:
No. It deletes the entire history.
Phew, glad I asked, was almost thinking it was a silly question.
Do you know a way to delete single memory items which are every single calculation I asked it to do including the ones it couldn't understand.

epenguin said:
Do you know a way to delete single memory items which are every single calculation I asked it to do including the ones it couldn't understand.
Unfortunately, no. I simply tried it in the app and saw that it deleted everything (which was not a problem for me).

epenguin said:
I also find that in >80% of cases I cannot do anything if I do spell out rigidly according to the prescriptions of example illustrations with their ( {} , ] etc!
I do not know what examples your are talking about, but I share your frustration. I use Mathematica and sometimes WolframAlpha will understand Mathematica commands and give the answer and sometimes just return a blank stare.

Likes epenguin

1. What is WolframAlpha?

WolframAlpha is a computational knowledge engine created by Wolfram Research. It uses a vast collection of algorithms and data to answer factual questions and perform calculations based on user input.

2. How is WolframAlpha different from a search engine like Google?

While search engines provide a list of web pages related to a query, WolframAlpha provides specific and structured answers to questions and performs calculations. It also uses curated data sources rather than indexing the entire web.

3. Can I use WolframAlpha for free?

Yes, WolframAlpha offers a free version that allows users to perform basic queries and calculations. However, there is also a paid version, WolframAlpha Pro, which offers additional features such as extended computation time and the ability to upload and analyze personal data.

4. What types of questions can WolframAlpha answer?

WolframAlpha can answer a wide range of questions on various topics, including mathematics, science, history, geography, finance, and more. It can also perform calculations, generate graphs and plots, and provide statistical data.

5. How accurate is WolframAlpha?

WolframAlpha strives for accuracy and uses curated data sources and advanced algorithms to provide reliable answers. However, as with any computational tool, the accuracy of results may vary depending on the input and available data.