Elementary question of binding energy

In summary, the person is asking if the binding energy for one atom in a crystal is equal to the interacting energy between two ions in the crystal. They also mention seeing conflicting information about the equation for this relationship and express gratitude for any help.
td21
Gold Member
Hello! I asked this question in Physics section but no one replies so i think it is more a chem question.

When it is given that the interacting energy between 2 ions in a crystal is U, is the binding energy W(for 1 atom) equal to U?
i.e. U=W?

I think it's a reasonable guess;but i also look in some books that "W=-(1/2)U"? Why?and which one is correct? I cannot find anything on the internet, thanks for your help.

My chemistry background is also weak so thanks for your help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Interaction takes two ions, but you want energy per atom, yes?

Sign is just a matter of convention.

Related to Elementary question of binding energy

1. What is binding energy and why is it important?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to hold together the particles (such as protons and neutrons) in an atom's nucleus. It is important because it determines the stability of an atom and affects its chemical and physical properties.

2. How is binding energy measured?

Binding energy is measured using a mass spectrometer, which separates and measures the masses of different isotopes of an element. The difference in mass between the isotopes is then used to calculate the binding energy.

3. What is the relationship between binding energy and nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions involve the breaking or forming of bonds between particles in the nucleus. The amount of binding energy in these bonds determines the energy released or absorbed during the reaction.

4. How does binding energy relate to the stability of an atom?

Atoms with higher binding energy are more stable because they require more energy to break apart the particles in the nucleus. This stability also affects the reactivity and chemical properties of an atom.

5. Can binding energy be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, binding energy can be harnessed through nuclear reactions, such as nuclear fission and fusion, to generate energy in power plants. However, these reactions also have potential risks and must be carefully controlled and monitored.