Eletrons muons tau in string theory

In summary: But the hidden 6-7 dimensions might not be stable, and could potentially be open.But the hidden 6-7 dimensions might not be stable, and could potentially be open.
kodama
in string theory, where strings are posited as fundamental entities, what is the relation between eletrons muons tau

how does string theory explain the increasing masses of leptons
how do these leptons other properties come about in string theory
what about the antiparticles of each? i.e positrons antimuons

in a universe without a higgs field, does string theory distinguish massless eletrons muons tau and if so how?

what prevents strings theory for also having a 4th and 5th and beyond generation charged leptons

similar question for quarks and neutrinos.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. I have wondered whether string theory (with its infinite number of "vibrational states") predict species beyond the (3 leptons for example) species we have observed.

Likes kodama
You're basically asking how does string theory reproduce the entirety of the standard model, as well as explaining something that the standard model doesn't explain (the number of generations, the pattern of masses)... which is OK, except that to understand the answer, first you need to understand how all those things work in the standard model, at the level of fields. In the standard model, all those particles are chiral fermions in representations of gauge groups, and (except for the neutrinos) they acquire mass through yukawa terms coupling weak singlets to weak doublets. That's how it works in string theory too, it's just all - done with strings. :-)

Likes Richard Green and kodama
thanks for reply, for now I'd like to keep it simple. in string theory where there is only strings as fundamental entities, what is the difference between eletrons muons tau ?

kodama said:
thanks for reply, for now I'd like to keep it simple. in string theory where there is only strings as fundamental entities, what is the difference between eletrons muons tau ?

The most common expectation, where flavour is not a gauge group, is that they appear as topological effects in the manifold of hidden dimensions. Think for instance how over a torus you can draw two kinds of circles.

Allow me to put in a vote for "I don't know and neither does anyone else."

The process of trying to build phenomenology out of raw string theory simply isn't there yet.

Likes Richard Green, Demystifier, mfb and 1 other person
arivero said:
The most common expectation, where flavour is not a gauge group, is that they appear as topological effects in the manifold of hidden dimensions. Think for instance how over a torus you can draw two kinds of circles.

the mass and properties of these charged leptons never change.

are those topological effects in the manifold of hidden dimensions completely frozen for all eternity?

so the 3 large spatial dimensions can warp and change in the presence of mass-energy
but the hidden 6-7 dimensions are frozen and never changing?

ohwilleke said:
Allow me to put in a vote for "I don't know and neither does anyone else."

The process of trying to build phenomenology out of raw string theory simply isn't there yet.

I thought there is only 1 fundamental entity, strings, which can be open or closed, characterized by 1 parameter string tension, and that different open string vibrations correspond to different particles.

kodama said:
Roughly speaking, the difference comes from different modes of string oscillations.

Likes Richard Green
kodama said:
I thought there is only 1 fundamental entity, strings, which can be open or closed, characterized by 1 parameter string tension, and that different open string vibrations correspond to different particles.
In principle, yes. But nobody yet found the vibrations which correspond exactly to the world we see.

Likes Richard Green
Demystifier said:
Roughly speaking, the difference comes from different modes of string oscillations.

in what specific way does the modes of string oscillations in an electron differ from muon or tau?

Likes Richard Green
Demystifier said:
In principle, yes. But nobody yet found the vibrations which correspond exactly to the world we see.

what prevents this from happening?

Likes Richard Green
kodama said:
in what specific way does the modes of string oscillations in an electron differ from muon or tau?
Nobody knows a precise answer.

Likes Richard Green
kodama said:
what prevents this from happening?
The current understanding of non-perturbative string theory is actually very poor.

Likes Richard Green
kodama said:
the hidden 6-7 dimensions are frozen and never changing?
In the stable configurations, the "cycles" in the hidden dimensions (like the paths around @arivero's torus) fill up with a "p-form flux" of virtual strings that create a stiff lowest-energy state of the geometry. The possible higher-energy states above this minimum then involve quantum excitations along the cycles. At very high energies there can be a jump to a different topology.

1. What are electrons, muons, and tau in string theory?

Electrons, muons, and tau are all types of particles that are described in string theory. They are considered to be the building blocks of matter and are thought to be composed of tiny one-dimensional strings.

2. How are electrons, muons, and tau different from each other in string theory?

Electrons, muons, and tau are all very similar in that they are all fundamental particles that make up matter. However, they differ in mass and charge. Electrons are the lightest and have a negative charge, while muons and tau are heavier and have a positive charge.

3. How do electrons, muons, and tau interact in string theory?

In string theory, electrons, muons, and tau interact through the exchange of particles called gravitons. These particles are responsible for the force of gravity and also play a role in the interactions between particles.

4. Can electrons, muons, and tau exist in different dimensions in string theory?

Yes, according to string theory, particles like electrons, muons, and tau can exist in different dimensions. In fact, string theory proposes that there are 11 dimensions in total, with 3 dimensions that we can observe and the rest being compactified and hidden from our view.

5. What is the significance of electrons, muons, and tau in string theory?

Electrons, muons, and tau are essential components of string theory as they help explain the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. They also play a crucial role in the development of string theories and their predictions about the nature of the universe.