What is the weight and scale reading during elevator acceleration?

In summary: Ok so if we use mg - Fn = m(0.20g) and we solve for Fn we will get:Fn = 0.80mgSince we took downwards to be the positive direction then Fn = 0.80mg will be downwards since it's positive.
e-zero

Homework Statement

A 65-kg woman descends in an elevator that briefly acclerates at 0.20g downward when leaving a floor. She stands on a scale that reads in kg. (a) During this acceleration, what is her weight and what does the scale read?

Homework Equations

ƩF = ma
mg - Fn = m(0.20g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an answer that states that the scale needs to exert a force of 0.80mg which will give a reading of 0.80m = 52kg, but I do not understand why this makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
e-zero said:

Homework Statement

A 65-kg woman descends in an elevator that briefly acclerates at 0.20g downward when leaving a floor. She stands on a scale that reads in kg. (a) During this acceleration, what is her weight and what does the scale read?

Homework Equations

ƩF = ma
mg - Fn = m(0.20g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an answer that states that the scale needs to exert a force of 0.80mg which will give a reading of 0.80m = 52kg, but I do not understand why this makes sense.
What doesn't make sense about it?

why do we just eliminate 'g' to find the scale reading?

That is because the scale is calibrated in kilograms which is a mass unit and not a force unit. 52 kg of mass is 52g or 520 Newtons of force (weight) using g = 10 m/sec/sec.

Ok. Can you also explain why the formula is mg - Fn = m(0.20g) and NOT Fn - mg = m(0.20g) ??

e-zero said:
Ok. Can you also explain why the formula is mg - Fn = m(0.20g) and NOT Fn - mg = m(0.20g) ??

The acceleration of the elevator is downward so it is convenient to set up the 1D coordinate system such that downwards is the positive direction. This leads to the eqn mg - Fn = 0.20mg. Alternatively, if you take downwards as negative, then you have Fn - mg = -0.20mg which is equivalent.

Last edited:
Ok so if we use mg - Fn = m(0.20g) and we solve for Fn we will get:

Fn = 0.80mg

Since we took downwards to be the positive direction then Fn = 0.80mg will be downwards since it's positive. I know I'm incorrect here, but mathematically I cannot figure out why.

e-zero said:
Ok so if we use mg - Fn = m(0.20g) and we solve for Fn we will get:

Fn = 0.80mg

Yes

Since we took downwards to be the positive direction then Fn = 0.80mg will be downwards since it's positive. I know I'm incorrect here, but mathematically I cannot figure out why.

You expect a positive number here. By setting up the eqn in the first place, you knew that the normal force was directed in the negative direction in this case. i.e when doing a free body diagram you identify all the forces then use NII.

The vector equation is ##m \underline{a} = mg \hat{y} - F_n \hat{y}## from which you extract the scalar equation ##ma_y = mg - F_n##. ##F_n## is the magnitude of the vector ##F_n \hat{y}## and, as such, is non negative.

I'm just confused cause when we used the equations for mechanics (distance, speed, time) our final result would be either positive or negative which would indicate the direction, but now that we are using Newton's equation it seems to not be the case.

Is this because with Newton's equations we are, in a way, creating the equation before we calculate? as opposed to the mechanic equations which, in a way, were always static.

hi e-zero! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
e-zero said:
Ok so if we use mg - Fn = m(0.20g) …

Since we took downwards to be the positive direction then Fn = 0.80mg will be downwards since it's positive.

nope

when you wrote mg - Fn, you were already assuming that Fn was upward

if your Fn was downward, you would have written mg + Fn = m(0.20g),

giving you Fn = -m(0.80g),

proving that your normal force was -m(0.80g) downward, which is m(0.80g) upward! :wink:

Oh I see. I totally missed that. Fn is subtracted because its upward and in this case upward is negative.

1. What is the purpose of the elevator and scale example?

The purpose of the elevator and scale example is to demonstrate the relationship between weight and force, and to explain the concept of apparent weight. It is a common physics thought experiment used to illustrate this concept.

2. How does the weight of an object change when it is in an elevator?

The weight of an object appears to change in an elevator due to the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator. When an elevator accelerates upwards, the apparent weight of an object increases, and when it decelerates or moves downwards, the apparent weight decreases.

3. Why does the scale show different readings in the elevator?

The scale shows different readings in the elevator because it measures the normal force exerted by the object on the scale. When the elevator is at rest, the normal force is equal to the object's weight. However, when the elevator is accelerating, the normal force is greater than the object's weight, and when it is decelerating, the normal force is less than the object's weight.

4. Does the mass of an object affect its apparent weight in an elevator?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its apparent weight in an elevator. The more massive an object is, the greater the normal force needed to support it. Therefore, a heavier object will have a greater apparent weight in an elevator compared to a lighter object.

5. How does the direction of the elevator's movement affect the apparent weight of an object?

The direction of the elevator's movement affects the apparent weight of an object because it determines the direction of the acceleration. When the elevator is moving upwards, the acceleration is upwards, and the apparent weight of an object increases. When the elevator is moving downwards, the acceleration is downwards, and the apparent weight of an object decreases.